Linksys vs. Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Grimace, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Currently I have a linksys WRT54G unit (4 ethernet jacks + wireless G) hooked up.* I
    never saw any reason to pay more for an Airport when other devices did the same
    thing for $79.* The USB port on the airport has me hooked now.* A few questions: *

1.* Can I hook up any USB device to the airport and have all wireless notebooks be
    able to use it (similar to print sharing.) *

2.* If the answer to #1 is yes, could I hook up a USB hub and have 4 USB devices
    (printer, spare harddrive, etc) accessible by the computers on the network? *

3.* Given my current hardware, is it possible to add in a USB device (like a printer) to
    share?* As in, a USB-ethernet jack converter??* (this may not exist)

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

3. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

What is the technological barrier that keeps people from networking hard external hard drives in the same manner that they would network printers?

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Someones been doing some seriously thinking....well done. I am very interested to find out if you could do what's posted above. I think I am going to go rent an AE tomorrow and try this out. This has the potential to be very cool.

5. Stolid macrumors regular

Stolid

Complexity issue. Printer sharing is easy because all the technology is simple and has been out for forever. Network File Systems are weirder and have a lot more issues (a printer just needs a print queue so you can have 1000 things send things into a queue, a harddrive has read/write synchronization issues -- what if 2 things write the same file at the same time? What if one writes a file while another wants to read that file?)

6. Nikko1965 macrumors member

7. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

8. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Would that also work with the Airport Extreme??

I'm guessing that networking data like that would work for drive intensive tasks like video editing. Like store imported footage on the disk, so that two different machines could access the data and just store all rendered files locally? If this is too slow, is there a way to do something like that??

9. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

if you navigate around the site (especially the 'internet' and 'disk' links at the bottom,) the spelling and grammar is HORRIBLE!! It almost makes me want to believe that the product or company is a hoax or scam. What major product manufacturer would have so much wrong with its website designed to sell merchandise??

10. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

I'm assuming that it would not be a function of AE or Apple would be all over that in its marketing. This device seems to have that capability specially built in.

11. Nikko1965 macrumors member

RT Grammatically Superior M

I must admit it's a pretty shoddy write up although the ability to use "MSN massager" is quite a tempter. Still, their English is far better than my Chinese.

If you go to the download section you'll find a 7M PDF of the manual which should not only answer most questions but will also greatly reduce William Shakespeare's posthumous RPM.

Cheers,

Nick

12. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    this product exists.

but, you would hook it up via ethernet, not the usb port. MUCH faster.

but, it would be best to be on a wires 1000baseT network if you are moving a lot of data. G would not do it for you. (1000>54)