Linksys WAG54G and Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by frez, Sep 14, 2005.

1. frez macrumors member

Hi there,

I have a Powerbook and a windows machine working perfectly with a Linksys WAG54G Wireless modem/router in one.

I'm thinking of buying the Airport Express to play music wirelessly.

My questions are:

- Can I add the Airport Express to my existing network so that I can can still surf the web on both computers and listen to music at the same time? The guy at the apple store seemed to think I can only connect to one router at a time - which would really be inconvenient.

- If i can do this, how do I set it up? Does the AE wind up extending the Linksys or do I have find a way to disable the Linksys wireless and use the AE for my wireless network?

Thanks,
    Frez

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Here is how I got my Linksys WRT54G (should be similar) and AE to work together.

You should be able to use the AE to extend the network without a problem. Worst case, you could do as you mentioned, which is disable the Linksys wireless. But you should not need to do so.

3. frez thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the info.

sounds complicated (and very unsupported).

not wanting to hack a network together - particularly because i like having a secure WPA network, maybe i should return the modem/router and just get the modem version and use an AE for the wireless network - might be easier.

btw .. is the AE just as secure as the Linksys in terms of WPA, Mac filtering etc...?