Linksys Wireless Access

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cgingrich, Nov 29, 2005.

1. cgingrich macrumors regular

cgingrich

Hey guys,

Just got my first mac, a powerbook, and I'm excited as ever to get started. I have tried SEVERAL times to access my wireless network and to no avail it keeps saying "There was an error joining the Airport network."

I currently have a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless-B router with WEP encryption. I've tried all 4 of the WEP keys and none seem to work. I ugraded the firmware from the Linksys website as well. Unfortunately Linskys doesn't provide support for non-windows OS, crap. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. THanks!

Chad

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Can you connect with WEP encryption turned off?

I have a WRTG45 from Linksys and they do provide the firmware upgrade for non-Windows OS. You have to go into the setup menu from your browser and upload a .cfg file.
    Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

put a $ on the front of your WEP key in the Network Control panel.

4. cgingrich thread starter macrumors regular

cgingrich

wow

The dollar sign did it....thanks a ton!

Love these boards!:)

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You are welcome...

6. keyshawn macrumors member

hey,

I'd just like to say thanks for this info !

I had troubles connecting my ibook to my router, and inserted the "$" character before the password

I was just confused where the network control panel was, but it's the "Network" Option in the system preferences folder.

regards,
    keyshawn

7. dmetzcher macrumors regular

Switch from WEP to WPA. Do a search on Google for "WEP vs WPA" for details on why you should use WPA and not WEP for wireless security. Regular WPA is fine, don't worry about WPA2. There are several podcasts about WEP and WPA at http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm if you are interested in getting the details and differences between the two.