Linksys wireless router and macbook setup help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Learjet035, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Learjet035 macrumors 6502

Hey, I need some input please. I got my 82 year old Granny a Macbook, and she's loving it so far. (She lives far away from me though) I have some funny stories about how little she understands about computers, but I'll share those another time. Anyway, she's a trooper and is online cheking email and listening to NPR VIA iTunes.
    I talked her through unplugging her usb modem to her PC, and then to an ethernet directly to her macbook.
    I sent her my old linksys wireless router with all the wires hooked up correctly and talked her through plugging everything in. I went over it with her 3 times and everything seems to be ok.
    The airport doesn't see the router....
    I had her hold the reset button down for 30 sec, unplug, replug etc...
    Still no sign of it in Airport.
    What's the easiest way to get her wireless? I'm doing this all via phone, so it's tough. Thanks for any input/ tips you all have!
    PS. Directly plugged into the modem, she's online, so I think it's just a linsys config issue.

2. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

I use a lynksys and had a few problems with my iBook and it. In the end it was a couple of problems, like a chanelling issue. I think the channel was default to sixteen or something that my ibook couldnt receive. I have to ask but have you checked ther's not a cordless phone or microwave interfering? Again make sure all the IP settings are left to automatic DHCP under networking on airport.

This utility might help you

http://www.macwireless.com/html/support/airport_radar/index.php

I've been hunting all around for an remote desktop app for mac to mac control but to no avail. Best of luck!

3. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

old people and computers. so hilarious:D

4. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

AH HA!

http://www.redstonesoftware.com/products/vine/server/vineosx/index.html

thats a VNC for you to use to take control of your grans macbook from far far away. You can use the previous app to scann for the network to see whether its the laptop hardware, router, or hopefully the laptop software at fault. I hope you haven't got a send in on your hands...

5. T-Stex macrumors 6502

You might want to try Chicken of the VNC. It's an another remote desktop app.

6. Learjet035 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks all... Tark, would you mind giving me a quick n dirty on that VNC. Do I just launch it, have Granny DL and launch and insert her ip address into the space provided and I'll see her desktop? Thanks, I looked it over, but before I get on and have her DL it, I'l like to be a little proficient. Thanks again.

7. Learjet035 thread starter macrumors 6502

Me and a semi competent mac user tried for about 30 min to connect via the Vine Server and Chicken. I figured I'd try it out on him before my Granny. Each of us are using a wireless router which I think is the issue for us.
    Tark, you have any tips for this? Thanks

8. tsvb macrumors 6502

Was the router ever configured not to broadcast?

9. Learjet035 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, actually I was using it up to about a month ago when I got a N series router. I just unplugged the linksys and sent it off to Grams.

10. tsvb macrumors 6502

Hmm

Have you done a manual reset to the router? Turned the airport off and then on again?

11. Learjet035 thread starter macrumors 6502

I did do the reset, but did not cycle the airport.
    Do you think I need to do the old.. 192.169.1.1 setup thing?

12. tsvb macrumors 6502

there shouldn't be any setup needed on the router. I guess you might want to login and check the wireless settings. But that might be hard to do over the phone with your gram. :)

You could have her install chicken of the vnc and remote in. But you would have to forward the correct ports to the correct IP and that may be just as hard to walk her through.

13. Learjet035 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I didn't think I would need to do any setup, but she may have something off, I'm not sure.
    I tried doing the Chicken thing with a buddy of mine, and we couldn't make it work, so I'm guessing Granny would have a bit of a time with it too =)
    I guess I'll call here and do the 192. setup stuff as a last resort. She'll just have to be wired until I get up for a visit.