Linksys wireless router problems.

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Taft, Apr 6, 2002.

  1. Taft macrumors 65816

    Taft

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2002
    Location:
    Chicago
    #1
    I have some serious problems with my Linksys wireless router + 4 port switch.

    Every so often it seems to get stuck and I can't connect to it. I then press the reset button briefly and clear all packets and it will work again.

    The problem is that every so often when I do this the whole router is reset and I end up having to enter all of the setup information again. Worse, sometimes it gets really messed up when the whole router gets reset.

    Two days ago it happened and when I set it up again, it wouldn't connect to my modem. I just kept resetting it and leaving the power off for a while. Finally, two days later, it is working again.

    Needless to say, this is pretty much an unacceptable situation. Anyone having similar problems? Anyone have any ideas?

    Matthew
     
  2. cleo macrumors 65816

    cleo

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2002
    Location:
    Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
    #2
    I have the same router, and I also occasionally have to reset it to et things moving. However, I'm not sure what you mean by having to enter the setup information again... I've never had it lose any of the settings (mostly port fowarding).
     
  3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

    Mr. Anderson

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2001
    Location:
    VA
    #3
    Re: Linksys wireless router problems.

    I've had my linksys for 4 months now and I've never had to do anything with it. I did go in and change the default settings, somewhat better for security. Other than that its run perfectly with one G4 connected by rj45, TiPB through wireless, and a Compaq laptop through wireless.

    If its continues to be a problem, I'd call tech support, its free.

    Good luck.
     
  4. evildead macrumors 65816

    evildead

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2001
    Location:
    WestCost, USA
    #4
    I have the same router

    I reset it everyonece in a while but all my settings are saved. I woud try and update the firmware and see if that helps. There is a link the the firmware updates under the help tab. if the problem still exits... I would call tech support. How new is it? You may want to return it. I as well as others here dont have that problem.
     
  5. Taft thread starter macrumors 65816

    Taft

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2002
    Location:
    Chicago
    #5
    Grrrr...

    Its a bit upsetting to hear no-one else has these problems. I've updated firmware and everything. I'm starting to think I've gotten a bumb router.

    It works great about 95% of the time. For the other 5% it is a major pain in the rear. And I bought it about a half a year ago, so I think its out of warrenty.

    Oh well...maybe this time it won't go birzerk.

    Thanks for the input, everybody.

    Matthew
     

Share This Page