Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Hey guys, I have a very complicated home network to setup, and nobody can seem to help me. I've tried calling all the companies mentioned, but they ALL tell me to call someone else, ugh.

Okay, I had a network setup perfectly fine. I have ATT SBC Yahoo DSL, with a 2Wire Gateway modem/wireless router. It is not only a modem, it also has a single ethernet port and a wireless signal. This worked fine for me previously:

I had my Macbook connected to the modem/router wirelessly, as well as my PSP, DS, and Wii. I had my Xbox 360 connected to the same modem/router via its single ethernet port. Worked great.

That was until I got my PS3. I was originally gonna connect it wirelessly, but because of the shortages, I was only able to snag a core model, meaning no WiFi. The only way to set it up was to plug the PS3 in via ethernet, which meant unpluggling my X360.

So, I got a Linksys router. I went ahead and picked up a wireless one, as I head off to college next year and might as well be prepared. However, I don't plan on using the wireless mode right now, unless I have to. I mainly purchased it so both my PS3 and X360 can be connected to my modem/router at the same time.

Well, I now have it so my Macbook is connected wireless to the original 2Wire modem/router. I then have the Linksys plugged into that router, and the PS3 and 360 connected to the Linksys.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 won't connect. My X360 under "Test Connection" finds and IP address, but fails at the "DNS" step. While the PS3 has less informative info, I can only assume the same holds true.

The only way to edit the Linksys router's settings is by plugging an ethernet cable to my Macbook, and then typing in the 192.168.1.1 address. But then I'm pretty much disconnected from the internet, minus that particular site.

What do I do? Thanks.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
You want to use the Linksys as a dumb hub/switch.

You need to turn off the DHCP server on the Linksys and connect all your devices (2wire, 360, ps3) to the LAN side of the Linksys and you should be fine.

You might however consider just getting a wireless bridge device (like the WET54G) which you could plug the PS3 into and have it connect to the 2wire wirelessly. :p

B

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Missouri
You want to use the Linksys as a dumb hub/switch.

You need to turn off the DHCP server on the Linksys and connect all your devices (2wire, 360, ps3) to the LAN side of the Linksys and you should be fine.

You might however consider just getting a wireless bridge device (like the WET54G) which you could plug the PS3 into and have it connect to the 2wire wirelessly. :p

B

Thank you! You have no idea how grateful I am that you helped.

Granted, that apparently wasn't the hardest thing to accomplish. I consider myself to be somewhat knowledgeable of setting up networks (I got my last one working alright, :p ), but I find it pretty pathetic that none of those places I mentioned could help me. I explained it in great detail just like I did it in here, and they took me through five or six steps and then told me it was another object's fault. I even SAID that I didn't think it would be too complicated, and I'd just have to "flip a switch or something" to get the router to just "play dumb."

As for the whole bridge idea, I considered that. However, I think I'd have to get a wireless router in the near future anyways (or atleast a wired one) with college coming up, and so I may as well get it now.

Thanks again. :D

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
....<text removed>....
......but I find it pretty pathetic that none of those places I mentioned could help me. I explained it in great detail just like I did it in here, and they took me through five or six steps and then told me it was another object's fault.

Mattcube64,

I am glad you were able to solve this. But, do not be too hard on the tech support people you spoke with. I would have been shocked if one of them would have been able to help you.

When I read your post, I was scratching my head. And, I have worked with LANS/WANS for 15 years. But, I have never seen an xBox or PS3. I would not have a clue as to how they are configured. The people you speak with are usually first-teir support. They are taught (with varying degrees of success) to provide support for their product only. Nowadays, you seldom get a network engineer. When you start trying to describe your set-up, they may attempt to help, but most likely they are thinking, "Why me". :(

If you get too many vendors involved with a problem, every time a difficult problem comes up, the finger pointing is going to start. That is just a fact of life in technology. Run into a problem with Oracle on a Sun system, and you will see the two fastest fingers on earth. After dealing with that for a couple years, you will develop the fastest finger on earth, but it will not be the same finger. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.