Linksys WRT54G and Azureus

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Lincoln 6 Echo, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Lincoln 6 Echo macrumors member

Nov 29, 2005
    I'm having a port-forwarding issue with my Linksys WRT54G-CA and Azureus. I've read that PF'ing is not 'supported' with the factory firmware and that I may have to update my firmware to get it working properly --- I'm not totally sure if that's right or not. With the router in place Azureus never exceeds 50 kb/s up & down combined and it says I'm firewalled (red circle) and i have a NAT error (yellow circle).

I've read that there's several firmwares available. Does anyone know which one is the best one for the WRT54G-CA?

This is the router I have:]

2. Joony macrumors regular

Jan 7, 2005
    Interesting, that's just a regular ole WRT54G, but Canadian-ized! :) Probably for frequency reasons?

Anyhow, look on the bottom and find out which version it is.

I personally use DD-WRT on my v2 WRT54G, works wonderfully.

The factory firmware should allow you to port forward, it would be odd for any router to not allow port fortwarding...

Try these instructions!
  3. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    I had two of those routers, and they both sucked hard. I ended up tossing them both in the trash. I tried a few different firmwares, and never did get a stable router that did what it was supposed to. I had to reboot the damn things every six hours or so because they just randomly decided to stop passing packets.

Sorry. Whenever I hear the name, I have to vent.
  4. takemore macrumors member

As I posted in the another thread Linksys produced a few very much different versions of WRT54G router. The ver2 which the OP talks about is not bad. An your, kalisphoenix, probably was ver5. I tried DD-WRT micro on ver5, that has reduced sized Ram and Flash. DD WRT micro fits into 2Mb flash but lack of RAM (only 8Mb instead of 16Mb in ver2) causes constant freezes. I had to revert back to original VxWorks software.

If you want expandability you have to either buy an old Linksys router or get... yes, again Buffalo! Just want to let you know that I don't work for them :)

My 2 cents.
  5. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Apr 6, 2005
    Where did you read this?. Didn't you find the port forwarding config page on the router's web interface?. A router without port forwarding!!! :confused: