Linksys WRT54G and WPA keeps dropping connection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by danny_w, Dec 2, 2006.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

I have a wireless network of 2 Macs (PB and iMac G5), WinME PC, and a Linksys WRT54G router. Until recently I always ran an open network, but decided to try encryption. Ever since I changed configurations to WPA Pre-Shared Key TKIP, I have been having issues (I never had any kind of problems before). Both of the Macs will seem to drop the connection every one in a while, and not reconnect without manual connection. Power-cycling the router will also bring back the connection. I expect that there is a much newer version of router fw available (currently v3.03.1), but I really hate to update it in case anything goes wrong. The disconnects get much worse if I am actively transferring large files (about 15 minutes), but normally it may run OK for several hours up to a day or more. Has anybody else experienced something similar? Any help would be appreciated.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

macman2790

i had the same model, similar problems, i upgraded to the belkin n1, its range and connection are a lot better.

4. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks for the reply. My router hw is v2.2, so it must be older. It didn't look like they had made changes to the fw in the WPA area since my version. I'll try an OS update first using the combo updater, since I've had problems in the past with blowing up routers via fw updates. I'll let you know how it goes.

5. Yoursh macrumors 6502

I've been having the similar problems with my month and half old V5 model. I updated to the newest firmware but it still has the same problems. I'm about to chuck it and try another manufacturer. This is my second linksys one in a year.

Edit:Actualy after reading the other postings, it seems that I don't have the firmware that they just released. I'll have to try it when i get home.

6. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

I have been happy with the Linksys in open wifi mode, but the problems started when I tried to add encryption. If I did choose to try a different router, and since we have more Macs that PC's, would there be any real benefit to the Airport base station, and if so, which one? I would hate to spend the money for one if they really aren't any better. BTW, my WinME desktop is hooked into the network with a Zyxel P-330W in router mode, and it can also do WPA2 (AES).

7. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

yeah. newly released linksys routers under $100+mac+wireless=not fun!

8. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Have you tried to use WEP instead of WPA pre-shared key tkip. Or better yet use mac filtering on your wireless with no encryption

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Last, but not least, and especially for an older WRT. Have you considered third part firmware? I personally use open WRT on mine...

B

10. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

I have a v6 with WPA in a mixed platform and the router just plain sucks. We will literally leave in the morning, come back after our classes and have to reset the router because the DHCP is acting up.

11. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

FWIW, my WRT is an okder model (v2.2), not the later ones (v5 or v6). I bought it in a hurry (new) when a Dlink that I had died (the wired, not the wireless part).

12. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Update the firmware. I know you don't want to, but it's one of the first things you should do. I recommend installing the lastest version of DD-WRT, since it uses a newer codebase than even the latest official firmware. I'm running it on a WRT54G v6 without any issues when I connect my MacBook Pro. WPA-PSK TKIP encryption as well.

13. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

If I were to consider another router, what is the best kind to use with Macs? I need a router that has a built-in hub, or else an external hub/switch for connections in my home office; I noticed that neither of the Airport base stations had a router built-in. What do other people here use with good success?

EDIT: OK, I just updated the router to v4.30.5 and will wait to see what happens.

14. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

I just updated the router to v4.30.5 and noticed to things interesting:

1) The router status screen now indicates that it is a WRT54GL (not WRT54G as before)

2) I now have the extra options of WPA2 Enterprise and WPA2 Personal. However, when I set the router to WPA2 personal with the same passphrase as before, the other computers and routers on the network continued to work, even though they were set to WPA Personal. Is this supposed to happen? Anyway, I put it back to WPA Personal and will leave it to see how it does.

15. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Mine in Version 1.1 I think. Works flawlessly.

16. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

So far so good. I have been transferring a 1.6GB file from a wireless PC on the network to a wireless Mac for over 30 minutes with internet traffic on another Mac with no drops yet. Previously the file transfer alone would cause the connection to drop after about 5 minutes.

17. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Makes sense, the one you have has 4x the Flash and RAM than the most recent models and is Linux based unlike the newer VxWorks ones... The GL is the current Linux one that still has less Flash and RAM than yours. :p

B