Linksys WUSB54G

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dotdotdot, Feb 28, 2005.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    Sorry if this is the wrong section...

Does anyone know why we can't connect to our network with a linksys wusb54g USB 802.11g card?

My dad purchased this for my sister and immediatly the card didnt work on her computer so he installed it on his - it broke the machine. AND the network.

I'm now on dial up waiting for a reason why this card broke our network - anyone else have trouble with this/know how to fix it?
  2. ghostee macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2004
    Villa Park, IL
    I really don't see how it would have "broken" the network. Is your router configured properly to allow the new USB NIC onto the network? You may need to add the NIC's MAC address to the router's allowed list, or disable filtering. Is the router configured as a DHCP server? If so, the computer with the USB NIC should be set to get it's IP address from DHCP server. If not, you need to manually set an IP in a private range (192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x), as well as possibly a gateway address and DNS server address.

Please post some more relevant information such as the model of your router, some information on it's settings, and where the internet feed is coming from. Have you tried plugging the cable/dsl modem directly into the computer to see if it may be causing a problem? Do wired computers connected to the router have access to each other/the internet?

Also, go to a command prompt on your Windows boxen and type "ipconfig" and paste the results here.
  3. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    I have absolutely no idea how our network is set up...

I think the problem is "under control" now - it is not fixed but my dad knows how to fix it...

We are all spoiled by broadband - dial up sucks!! I miss my INTERNET!!! now it seems like the internet you get for 3 dollars!!