linux aim install

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yippy, Feb 21, 2005.

1. yippy macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I realize this isn't exactly a mac problem (although it probably could be) but I am trying to install AIM on a linux machine that I do not have root privelages for. The website says that I can but I don't quite understand the directions, can someone give me the commands step by step? It shouldn't be to hard. This is the directions I need interpreting of:

"If you use the .tgz build, do "tar -zxvf file" on it, then move the usr/local/lib/aim directory to your home directory. Set a variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the usr/local/lib directory (or move the files inside that to another directory, and point to that). AIM will be found in usr/local/bin/aim."

Thanks a bunch.
  2. Logik macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2004
    you can do it.. but uh.. it isn't pretty and will likely be a pain in the arse..

tar zxvf filename.tar.gz

the now unzipped folder should contain usr/local/lib/aim.... and a usr/local/bin/aim

if those are in your ~/ (home directory) then you simply need to set an environment variable.. which is different depending on the shell you are using.. so... man (whatever shell you're using).. like bash. "man bash" it'll explain how to set environment variables in your bashrc file

you then need to add ~/usr/local/bin/ to your path ... then by typing "aim" at the command prompt it will run

just so you know, the aol aim client sucks... have the owner of the machine install GAIM .. you'll be much happier