linux and flash drive

Discussion in 'Community' started by aplasticspork, Jan 25, 2005.

1. aplasticspork macrumors regular

since this doesnt fit under any of the other forums i suppose it goes here...im getting a 512 Mb flash drive, and was hoping to install an OS on it for the coolness factor, and cuz it might be useful. i found damn small linux (50 MB), but it's only for the pc. i was wondering if anyone here knew of something like it for the mac, preferably under 100 MB, 200 would be acceptable, but i want some extra space on it for files and etc.

thanks in advance :)
    --andrzej

2. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

I bet you could compile gentoo for a mac with a very minimal set of software. You might get that under 200 megs.

BEN

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Damn Small Linux is the only one that I know of; so far, it has been a PITA to get working.

4. aplasticspork thread starter macrumors regular

i almost got it to boot using qemu but then it crashed so im assuming that i would be able to get it running on an actual pc

about gentoo...unfortunately i have absolutely no idea how to do that ;) and i dont have the time. i was hoping for something prepackaged but oh well. hopefully there is something out there hiding under a rock but if not i'll improvise :cool: :p

--andrzej