Linux Beats Windows Booting on Intel iMac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by godbout, Feb 16, 2006.

1. godbout macrumors regular

2. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

This doesn't seem to be very interesting to me and yes I'm a Linux user. I didn't spend very much time on the sight but the image shows a boot up screen that looks successful so I'm assuming from there KDE or whatnot can be started. personally though, a mac is built on unix so for those command line programmers that use terminals this doesn't change anything since gnu compilers and most freeware can be loaded onto a mac anyway. maybe I'm missing something though.

3. godbout thread starter macrumors regular

The reason that I found this interesting is that there were no attempts by apple to prevent someone to put whatever OS they want on thier hardware, which was a debate until this happend. Also, some people love apple hardware but do not like to support software that they have to pay a lot of money to keep at the latest and greatest. Also, although Mac OSX is a BSD based system that does not mean that it gives you the freedom that Linux does (necessarily). Finally there are people that think that their flavor of linux in simply better than OSX. Personally I love OS X and I do shell out $150 every time they release a 10.X revision and I have since 10.0 (I guess 10.1 was free) but that is not the way that everyone wants it.

4. wahgnube macrumors member

wahgnube

Exactly, to each their own. I just shelled out nearly 3 grand for a new laptop. I will be very annoyed if they tried forcing me to run only what they deem 'seamless' on their machines.

I enjoy the freedom of free software, and I will use it. Others enjoy the slickness of OS X, they run that. Everyone is happy.

5. steelfist macrumors 6502a

i'm not suprised that linux was earlier at booting on intel macs.

well, linux unlike windows is very flexible, and can bend easilly to meet the requirements of booting on a intel mac.

windows, is much more difficult to boot on intel macs because it's source code, structure, and such isn't shared that freely.

i think this is great news for the mac community in general, even though i'm strictly a mac osx- apple hardware guy.:p

6. Compatiblepoker macrumors regular

Good post. Its definately no suprise that Linux would be before Windows though. Soon though soon.

Roger

7. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

Yeah and Darwin is open-source and you are making comments of apple making no attempts to stop anybody from making an os run their hardware? their kernel was open source, I don't see a bigger a sign that say "come on in and learn" than that.

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I don't recall Apple ever (well, within the last 5 or so years anyway) doing something to stop people from using other software on their computer. "It's your computer" is something they go by with that. That and the software is there to sell the hardware, which is still where they make most of their money.

9. godbout thread starter macrumors regular

I totally agree with you! Apple has always been like that, and I am glad that they are continuing to stay true to it. I had just heard (a while ago) over at slashdot that people were concerned that apple may have done something that was preventing other OSes to be easily booted (I think that this was when they just started trying to boot Windows Vista). Obviously, this is not the case which is cool, because when I have an intel mac I will probably want to have a couple OSes on it to play with. Just like I have now! Sometimes it is fun to have things not work but knowing that with enough work it will. Of course when I look to get some serious work done I almost always default to OSX.

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

1) Never ever believe everything you read on /.
    2) Apple doesn't concern themselves with someone else's OS running on their hardware.