Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roman2K~

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
Does anyone what the problem could be? It works fine on my 2011 Pro but not on my 2011 Air.

If you want help, you need to expand on what you mean by "works".

I assume the Pro goes past the bootloader, hardware is fully recognized, at least the graphics card, keyboard and mouse. Then a graphical environment is loaded (like a desktop environment such as GNOME). This must be what you call "works".

What happens with the Air exactly?

TheJing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
Somewhere in Europe
If you want help, you need to expand on what you mean by "works".

I assume the Pro goes past the bootloader, hardware is fully recognized, at least the graphics card, keyboard and mouse. Then a graphical environment is loaded (like a desktop environment such as GNOME). This must be what you call "works".

What happens with the Air exactly?

Nothing. When I choose what Disk I want to use by pressing Alt while booting the computer, I just get a screen that starts black and slowly becomes white over 10 minutes or so.

But I just read somewhere that the Air isn't capable of booting from a USB drive so...

Roman2K~

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
Nothing. When I choose what Disk I want to use by pressing Alt while booting the computer, I just get a screen that starts black and slowly becomes white over 10 minutes or so.
OK.

But I just read somewhere that the Air isn't capable of booting from a USB drive so...
Yes, the Air can boot from USB, no problem. If the stock EFI won't boot on your USB drive, try rEFIt. Install it even temporarily (it's a clean install, easily and thoroughly removable, see "Manual Installation [...]").

Expect missing drivers (kernel modules disabled in the kernel of the Linux distribution you're attempting to boot), but you should get a little further.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.