Linux but no Mac?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by drumpat01, May 25, 2006.

1. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

Does anyone else find it weird that Linux now gets a version of Picasa but still no Mac version. Don't you think that there are more Mac users out there than linux users? I know we have iPhoto but I use to use Picasa on my PC and I loved that program and would love to compare the two side by side. Maybe I'm just a google lover and want the best of both worlds.

So why do you think there is a linux version before a mac version? Do you think its because of the open source nature of linux caused it to be developed quicker?

2. NoNameBrand macrumors 6502

You can develop open-source software on the Mac easily enough.

I would imagine it was released as some Google employee ported it to Linux as a side project (Google engineers have to work a certain amount of time during their work week on side projects of their choosing, and yes, they're paid for it).

3. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

They're just using WINE to run the Windows version under Linux.

From Google's Picasa for Linux page:

"So, how does it work? Picasa for Linux runs the current Windows version of Picasa using a carefully tested version of Wine, an open-source implementation of the Windows application-programming interface (API). Wine runs on top of the X Window System and Linux or Unix. But it’s not a Windows emulator; instead, it provides a Windows API middleware layer that enables Windows programs to run on Linux without the slowing effects of OS emulation or a virtual machine."

They could probably create an OS X version the same way without a whole lot of trouble, but it'd run with X11, would be non-native, and Intel-only. I for one was never particularly impressed by Picasa (or Google as a company for that matter). If they create an OS X native version of Picasa, I'll at least download it and try it, but I'm not interested in a WINE-enabled Windows version on my Mac.

4. Zorkon macrumors newbie

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but it seems to me that the last time I looked at Picasa on a Windows box, it seemed to be an iPhoto knock-off. I'm assuming Google hasn't sat on their hands since then, so what void would a Mac version of Picasa fill?

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Beats me. Some people think it does a lot of things better than iPhoto. From what I can tell it's just better at being confusing and hard to use.

6. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

I have iPhoto and my dad uses Picasa and I kind of think Picasa is better.

7. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

What is it about Picasa that you like better?