Linux copying Mac OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AnthonyKinyon, Aug 10, 2006.

1. AnthonyKinyon macrumors regular

2. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

All OSs rip off each other, this isn't to be unexpected (Linux tried to be more OSX-ey, there's something wrong with that? That would mean there's something wrong with people theming their Windows computers to look like the Mac.

In all honesty, it's to be expected, the more ripped off the OS, the more easy it is to use other OS's, and that perhaps isn't a bad thing. In Windows you can get a dock (Stardock's app, or you can try Flyakite).

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Too bad that's XGL (which runs in KDE iirc) and not Linux specifically. Even so, it's open source. If I had the know-how I could build a desktop manager for Linux that looks exactly like Win XP (some already do). It wouldn't be Linux copying Windows, it'd be me. Same as in this case, a developer is copying - not then 'entire' Linux community.

4. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

I'd actually like it if linux ripped off os x more (the menubar mainly). Because otherwise everyone gets used to the Windows way of doing things, which sucks generally speaking.

5. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Looks somewhat like SLED 10. The 3D Desktop how you can move and spin it, you can put a video playing on a corner, spin the cube to show the two different sides, and watch the video on one side, to the corner on the next side.

e.g.__________
    _______ /|\
    Video__/_|_\
    ______/__|__\ Video
    _____/___|___\_____

|
    | = corner
    |

6. cemorris macrumors regular

A few ideas were taken from OSX. But they were improved upon greatly. This is very cool stuff that I hope Apple will take a little from.

7. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

When I had Windows, the first thing I installed, simply because I wanted to, was Sphere. I rather liked it actually.

8. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

That's not linux copying OS X. That dock is an app that some individual created and there are some just like it for windows. They have nothing to do with Linux or Windows. I have had docks like that on my windows and linux machines.

9. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

It's still laking the 'unified' approach to the whole UI.

I used to work with KDE years ago, because that environment was the most coherent look&feel-wise, but then I discovered OSX and...

:eek: love at first logon ;)

10. aquajet macrumors 68020

11. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

There is a big diff. between copying and just adding on. For example: Dock's are usually 3rd party programs that are developed by people and small companies which basically aren't greatly known through-out (though some may be), but this is just an extension or an add-on to the OS so that's not copying, thats just a utility for that OS.

Now Windows has copied the Aqua feel like Mac OS X has. In essence, Mac OS X copied, but used as well, FreeBSD foundation called Darwin, for its base foundation which they had rights to though. Mac OS also has a Unix foundation as well, probably a modified personal flavor (I strongly strongly doubt they're using HP's version), but its still all copied from another OS and used towards their advantage.

In essence, there are copiers, then there are utilities.
    Windows Aqua interface - copy
    Linux Dock - utility.

Feel free to correct me on any of the information I gave.

EDIT: just informing, not yelling or bashing =P

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

don't be ridiculous.
    always remember OS X is a hybrid branch of unix, you have to realize OS X took major code from Unix/Linux/BSD project. If anybody should say thanks, its apple, not linux.

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That was humourous. :p

How many idiotic, useless special effects does one need? The wavy windows in particular serve no purpose, except to amuse. How long did the developers toil over that joke?

It's nice to be able to show your accomplishments but if that was someone's resumé, a prospective employer should be worried about the developer doing unnecessary side projects.

14. After G macrumors 68000

After G

It looks good, but doesn't help usability. OS X went from flashy and tacky to muted and better looking. The good thing about this is that developers are using OpenGL more.

15. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

This is not meant as disrespectful, but I mean, this is kind of common sense, isn't it? :)