Linux for old iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mac Player, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Mac Player macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I have an iMac rev D 333 with 160 MB RAM and i want to to give a new life to this computer. To do that im planing to install a linux distro just to surf the web and use openoffice. Recomendations?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

3. Queso macrumors G4

Seconded. That's a great distro for an old machine.

4. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

What's wrong with just running OS 9 or OS X?? LInux is so user unfriendly and unstable on less powerful hardware.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

his machine is way too Slow for OS X, and there just aren't up-to-date softwares for OS 9.

6. godbout macrumors regular

Where have you gotten this idea from? Linux is an extremely stable OS (depending on your distro, both on old hardware and new). Xubuntu is a great choice xfce is a nice WM that is both light weight and themeable. Also, the ubuntu crowd has a really quick update cycle (~6 months) and they typically find a nice balance between the edge and stability (that is sever class stability). I think that this is a far better choice than a bloated OS X install and you will have the ability to download top notch software for free. I would not even consider puting OS9 on it!

7. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

I've never used Xubuntu, but i've used SUSE 10.1 on a 1.8 ghz Pentium 4 with 1 Gig of RAM and it crashed ALL the time and it was sluggish and very difficult to use. It actually made me miss windows.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

SUSE focuses more on the stability than speed, Xubuntu is faster, and its using XFCE which is lighter, faster than KDE/Gnome.
    I didn't encounter much problem with SUSE 10.0 when I used it for several months.

9. steelfist macrumors 6502a

i'm suprised that nobody mentioned fedora core, there's a version for ppc too.

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

coz FC is slow compare to Xubuntu, FC is using Gnome.