Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Player

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
Hi everyone,

I have an iMac rev D 333 with 160 MB RAM and i want to to give a new life to this computer. To do that im planing to install a linux distro just to surf the web and use openoffice. Recomendations?

tipdrill407

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
What's wrong with just running OS 9 or OS X?? LInux is so user unfriendly and unstable on less powerful hardware.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
tipdrill407 said:
What's wrong with just running OS 9 or OS X?? LInux is so user unfriendly and unstable on less powerful hardware.
his machine is way too Slow for OS X, and there just aren't up-to-date softwares for OS 9.

godbout

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2005
Montreal, Canada
tipdrill407 said:

Where have you gotten this idea from? Linux is an extremely stable OS (depending on your distro, both on old hardware and new). Xubuntu is a great choice xfce is a nice WM that is both light weight and themeable. Also, the ubuntu crowd has a really quick update cycle (~6 months) and they typically find a nice balance between the edge and stability (that is sever class stability). I think that this is a far better choice than a bloated OS X install and you will have the ability to download top notch software for free. I would not even consider puting OS9 on it!

tipdrill407

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
I've never used Xubuntu, but i've used SUSE 10.1 on a 1.8 ghz Pentium 4 with 1 Gig of RAM and it crashed ALL the time and it was sluggish and very difficult to use. It actually made me miss windows.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
SUSE focuses more on the stability than speed, Xubuntu is faster, and its using XFCE which is lighter, faster than KDE/Gnome.
I didn't encounter much problem with SUSE 10.0 when I used it for several months.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
steelfist said:
i'm suprised that nobody mentioned fedora core, there's a version for ppc too.
coz FC is slow compare to Xubuntu, FC is using Gnome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.