Linux founder trashes Mac OS X foundation

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Anton Szandor LaVey, Apr 16, 2001.

1. Anton Szandor LaVey macrumors newbie

The forthcoming autobiography from Linus Torvalds, creator of the Linux operating system and figurehead of the open-source movement, promises to cast a shadow over Apple Computer's newly released OS X, parts of which Torvalds describes in less-than-flattering terms.

"Frankly, I think it's a piece of crap," Torvalds writes of Mach, the microkernel on which Apple's new operating system is based, with additional elements from the FreeBSD version of Unix. "It contains all the design mistakes you can make, and manages to even make up a few of its own."

Torvalds' comments promise to upset not just Apple fans but also some quarters of the free software movement. The Mach microkernel is also being used as the core of Hurd, a kernel project from the Free Software Foundation that will be an alternative to Linux as the heart of the GNU (Gnu's Not Unix) operating system, originally devised by free-software advocate Richard Stallman.
    The criticism comes in a chapter of "Just for Fun" where Torvalds tells that, on arrival in Silicon Valley in early 1997, Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs invited him to join Apple and help develop OS X. He says Jobs also wanted him to help attract open-source developers to the project.

The remarks will particularly sting Apple because the company has widely publicized the fact that the core of its new operating system is, like Linux, based on the Unix operating system and was developed on open-source software.

The Mach microkernel was created at Carnegie Mellon University in 1985 and has been incorporated into a number of commercial operating systems, including IBM's OS/2 on certain systems and Apple's OS X. Torvalds says that as developers have tried to improve the Mach microkernel it has become hugely complicated and convoluted.

Bumps and starts
    OS X has not been unanimously applauded since its launch. Shortly after it was released to the public, users questioned the lack of support for certain peripherals, particularly CD-rewritable and DVD-recording drives.

Torvalds writes that, even back in 1997, he foresaw compatibility problems between the new operating system and older applications, due to a lack of memory protection--a safeguard that stops applications influencing each other and the operating system--in old Mac applications.

According to Torvalds, Jobs assumed Torvalds would be interested in joining Apple's mission to capture more of the PC market from Microsoft, rather than continuing to concentrate on Linux. "I don't think Jobs realized that Linux would potentially have more users than Apple, although it's a very different user base,". :(

Taken From: CNET

What do you think?

[Edited by Anton Szandor LaVey on 04-17-2001 at 03:49 AM]

2. PowerUser86 macrumors member

ouch!!! that hurts! why did he go and do that?

3. Trip.Tucker Guest

So I wonder how he feels now.. Linux is still pottering along at a slow rate and OS X rockets into the media limelight like never before. Poor Leeeeeenus.. and his Leeeeeeeeenux. :p

4. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, if you follow the industry closely, he just trashed OSX several months ago, again.:p

6. Trip.Tucker Guest

Link?

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

can't remember, you can search his name here at MR, I think there are 2 or 3 lengthy thread about it.

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

There's a thread somewhere on the forum. The media blew it up into him saying OS X was rubbish when what he really said was the file system was rubbish (which it is).

9. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Mmmm... Isn't this what is usually described as 'flamebait'? Posting a story from 7 years ago to get the newbie-fanboys' panties in a bunch?
    Anton?.. Shame on you! :rolleyes:

10. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

The OP posted this thread seven years ago. This forum was a smaller place back then.

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Actually, the OP posted this story 7 years ago. Trip.Tucker revived it.

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

lol, no, OP posted this 7 years ago. somebody dug up the gravy yard and want to humiliate Mr. Linus.

13. Trip.Tucker Guest

Dug up the gravy yard? Thats a lot of digging considering the gravy yard is the ship breaking beaches and dry docks. Sure you got the right term? :p

As for humiliating Mr. Torvalds (Linus is his first name), he seems to be doing that by himself and commenting on or resurrecting a thread that has current relevance and group/media focus does not equate to a desire to humiliate.

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

in case you missed it, dig up grave yard is a term ppl use to refer to this type of practice, actually the term is neutral as I understand. No negativity around it. :p

As for Mr. Linus, as a significant creator of linux kernel who supported and breed massive amount of OSS libraries and apps, many of them used by many OSX users (safari, perian, vlc, etc), probably you included. i think he deserves some appreciation from OSX users. Sure I can't stop anyone from looking at the world in a apple-nonapple way....

15. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Ah! Die necropost, die! Back to whence you came!

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

17. boast macrumors 65816

boast

It is too busy running on servers and supercomputers

18. Trip.Tucker Guest

Ok first, you said gravY yard, not grave yard so my interpretation of your statement was correct. Your spelling, alas, was not correct.

As for your beliefs on what influence Linux development has had on OS X is inaccurate. Linux != Unix. The applications that are present on both platforms existed in Unix well before Torvalds decided to build a monolithic kernel and port those utilities. System 5 Release 4 was the original spec. for a lot of subsequent Unices and if Linux had never come to fruition we would/could still have OS X. OS X runs a microkernel, has libraries NOT based on ELF or a.out, et al

Do some research before making incorrect statements and finally, here's a saying for you that I think sums it up nicely - "Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs". Look that one up :p

19. Trip.Tucker Guest

Yah.... I think you missed the point of the statement.

20. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Your needed in Engineering Trip.... stop necro'ing T'pol and do your job! :D:D:D

j/k

21. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

do you really don't know where safari comes from? or do you really don't know what is ffmpeg? do you really think all the developement can be done w/o linux? if you indeed don't know, wiki is always your friend.

or you just playing it?

I sure understand OSX is a branch of Unix, but are you seriously ditching the components you are using day-2-day that is from pure linux environment? Are you seriously think nowadays linux/unix develop environment can be separate clearly as you make it to be? are you seriously think OSX benefit no significant stuff from linux? What should I called that? ig.....? I think I was clearly, all the way in this thread, telling you about linux, did I mention anything about UNIX? if I were to mention UNIX, I would have accused OSX copying major codes from OSS and priced it at $129 for UI. ( which I did several months ago)

22. Trip.Tucker Guest

I can't seriously understand a word of your post. LOL :p I doubt you seriously can either.

Seriously. :p

...but seriously dude, you really are making an ass of yourself.

23. Trip.Tucker Guest

LOL! She is hot! Hotness heated up twice, then spiced up for even more hotness! :D ...and don't get me started on those pointy ears... omg!:p