linux gaming

Discussion in 'Games' started by actripxl, Apr 19, 2003.

1. actripxl macrumors 6502

actripxl

Ok guys I really don't know if this thread belongs here, but since it pertains to games I guess why not. We have games that are available for linux but not OS X, so my question is that if I get a PPC linxux distro will those games work on MY ver. of linux or does it have to be linux and x'86 to be compatible?

2. sageenos macrumors member

Most of the commercial linux games are probably distributed as binaries, so you would need x86 hardware. If the game publishers actually put out the source for the game engine then it would be possible to get a ppc version, but that's not the case. Linux has few games, but linux ppc has even less.

3. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

In my experience most game software for Linux is server stuff and not alot of client. (probably comparable to mac software;) )

4. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

most free linux games with sourcecode available will sometimes have a ppc binary that you can download, but if not, you just have to comile the code (pretty easy - type two commands into the terminal, just time consuming). as sageenos said, any commercialy available linux games (ut, ut2k3, rtcw) are distributed as binaries (the developers certainly aren't going to give away the code) for x86 only.

5. actripxl thread starter macrumors 6502

actripxl

Thanks for the answer guys, well i guess i just have to suck it up and make do with what ever games come our way.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You could learn to build the available games from source code. :)