linux on mac...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mnkeybsness, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Re: linux on mac...

That's a good question:confused:

Terra Soft have been doing it since OS 9, according to them!!:confused: :confused:

2. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

This is new to me and I would say that selling Macintoshs with their OS pre installed is illegal. I would really like to hear some more info on this.

P-Worm

3. vniow macrumors G4

I don't think it's illegal, people have ben doing it for awhile.

click

4. vniow macrumors G4

Oh wait, are you talking about selling Macs with Linux preinstalled, or the emulator that can run OSX?

5. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I don't see how either could be illegal. Apple can't control whats done with their products once its no longer in their possession. Unlike software, hardware is actually bought (not just a license), and emulators are definiltey legal, since you'd still need a legal copy of the OS to make them run.

6. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I would say it's the same thing as offering any kind of software or games with a new mac, and these arnt modified macs that only boot Linux and OS X is also preinstalled.

7. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Yeah, now that I think about it it makes sense. Hey what's the worst that could happen, Apple selling more computers? :eek:

P-Worm

8. Snert-a-Gert macrumors newbie

Actually, Yellow Dog Linux has been around for awhile now. The actual business is only 4 miles away from where I am right now (Loveland, CO).

Anywho, here's alink to the cnet report on sept. 9th, http://news.com.com/2100-1040-957138.html.

Snippet of the article:

:)

9. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

sweet, that must run like uber sophisticatedly cuz linux is very fast when couplked with fast processors. But the real authority on this subject is SilvorX. ask him about this.

10. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I downloaded Yellow Dog linux.. and since I don't have partitions (and it's too late to make them) I thought I could install it on my external firewire drive. No luck. Yellow Dog doesn't recognize firewire hardrives yet. I should've seen that before I downloaded it...

Grr.

But.. who needs Linux if they have OS X?

Hehe. I should've thought of that eariler too.

irmongoose

11. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

huh wha bout me? :p lol
    hmm havent ran linux on dual processors b4, but linux is pretty fast...but SLOWWWWW on x86...if your really into really advanced unix stuff, linux is the way to go, but its way too advanced to normal users who want "one click" stuff (ie installing software) but if you have the time to learn linux, do so, its a stable os, almost as stable as mac os...n theres a few mac os themes on linux..but theyre all bad quality...