Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
This is new to me and I would say that selling Macintoshs with their OS pre installed is illegal. I would really like to hear some more info on this.

P-Worm

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Originally posted by edvniow
Oh wait, are you talking about selling Macs with Linux preinstalled, or the emulator that can run OSX?

I don't see how either could be illegal. Apple can't control whats done with their products once its no longer in their possession. Unlike software, hardware is actually bought (not just a license), and emulators are definiltey legal, since you'd still need a legal copy of the OS to make them run.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
I would say it's the same thing as offering any kind of software or games with a new mac, and these arnt modified macs that only boot Linux and OS X is also preinstalled.

Snert-a-Gert

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2002
Actually, Yellow Dog Linux has been around for awhile now. The actual business is only 4 miles away from where I am right now (Loveland, CO).

Anywho, here's alink to the cnet report on sept. 9th, http://news.com.com/2100-1040-957138.html.

Snippet of the article:

Apple also authorized another Linux reseller.TerraSoft Solutions, last month. Like QliTech, TerraSoft sells Macs with both Mac OS X and Linux, though TerraSoft uses its own Yellow Dog Linux distribution

:)

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
sweet, that must run like uber sophisticatedly cuz linux is very fast when couplked with fast processors. But the real authority on this subject is SilvorX. ask him about this.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
I downloaded Yellow Dog linux.. and since I don't have partitions (and it's too late to make them) I thought I could install it on my external firewire drive. No luck. Yellow Dog doesn't recognize firewire hardrives yet. I should've seen that before I downloaded it...

Grr.

But.. who needs Linux if they have OS X?

Hehe. I should've thought of that eariler too.

irmongoose

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
Originally posted by G5orbust
sweet, that must run like uber sophisticatedly cuz linux is very fast when couplked with fast processors. But the real authority on this subject is SilvorX. ask him about this.
huh wha bout me? :p lol
hmm havent ran linux on dual processors b4, but linux is pretty fast...but SLOWWWWW on x86...if your really into really advanced unix stuff, linux is the way to go, but its way too advanced to normal users who want "one click" stuff (ie installing software) but if you have the time to learn linux, do so, its a stable os, almost as stable as mac os...n theres a few mac os themes on linux..but theyre all bad quality...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.