Linux on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FongMan, Feb 12, 2006.

1. FongMan macrumors regular

FongMan

Has any of you ever installed Linux on your Mac? I don't know anything about Linux really but why what's the point for installing it on a Mac? Would it affect any of your files or are there any precautions? I guess this is a rather strange thread but i'm just curious :confused:

2. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

I have installed Yellow Dog Linux on a PowerBook G4 667MHz, back in 2001. It sucked, the OS could not correctly display over 16 colors. :rolleyes:

Really no reason to install Linux on a Mac because there is X11 and you can run all the Open Source applications within OS-X.

3. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Installed Debian on a 333 G3 iMac "for fun". Couldn't get it to bloody network. Don't waste your time, use OS X. ;)

4. fradac macrumors regular

i use the Live CD from Ubuntu all the time on my apple, whenever i need.

and the good thing about a LiveCD is that i dont have to install it on my powerbook, i just boot from the CD when i need to goto linux

5. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I sometimes use ubuntu on my PB. If you REALLY like to customise your computer it's very useful. The main thing I use it for is multiple desktops.

If you're considering installing it on your Mac, do what I did and make a live CD of all the distros your considering and try them out before you take the plunge and install them. On the Debian website there's a few pages about installing Debian on a PB and getting everything to work, which would also be useful for people installing Linux on other Macs.

It is possible that you'll have to backup and do a clean install of OSX to get the partitions you want, but not always.

6. captainbeefheat macrumors regular

I guess if you wanted high quality hardware but the ethics of free/open source?

7. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

You can do that with quite a few apps on OS X. Not really a good reason to use Linux IMO.

8. FongMan thread starter macrumors regular

FongMan

9. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I cannot sacrifice my Mac for Linxu. So, I chose Compaq notebook PC (see my sig). I have such an attachment to my Macintosh and I cannot let it go to Linux. On the other hand, I can make my PC go to Linux, except for my tablet PC.

10. bookofjames macrumors newbie

yes, I agree. Search on Versiontracker for "Desktop Manager"