Linux on Macbook without OS X

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jakaj, Oct 13, 2006.

1. jakaj macrumors member

Hi,

does anyone know how to install Linux to a Macbook, use rEFIt, and completely delete OS X?

Do I still need a small (say 64mb) HFS+ partition to install rEFIt onto it?

Jaka

2. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I thought that with the current firmware that allowed for booting of Windows, you could basically just boot into a Linux install disc and reformat the HD without having to mess with this? But I'm so not sure.

4. jakaj thread starter macrumors member

ChrisG: Because of exactly the same reasons as I would want to on a PC. But Linux vs. OS X is not the subject of this thread.

mkrishnan: Windows afaik don't support EFI booting, so you need BIOS emulation (bootcamp), which I don't really need for Linux, since linux supports direct EFI booting.

Even with bootcamp, I don't know if BIOS emulation will still work if I delete the entire disk... :confused:

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Plenty of XP only installs out there, so I don't see why you think it wouldn't work.

B

6. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

The BIOS emulation is part of the firmware, which is not on your hard drive. BootCamp doesn't allow you to run Windows. It's only the Windows drivers + a disk partitioning tool.

7. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

But then whats the point of getting a Mac? Why just not get a Dell?

8. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

I'm going to out on a limb and say that Apple hardware is a smidgeon more enticing to look at/carry-without-breaking-your-back than its Dell counterpart. ;)

9. -::ubermann::- macrumors regular

i think you only boot from install disks of linux and erase everything, is refit actually useful for anything?

10. jakaj thread starter macrumors member

a) the Macbook is quite cheap compared to other 13.3" and 12" laptops that I could find locally

and

b) as x86isslow said, the Macbook looks much nicer.

Or do you think, that unless you use OS X, you don't have the right to a good-looking computer? :D

-::ubermann::-:
    Well, if you use rEFIt with a kernel that knows that it's running on an EFI machine, you don't need the MBR/GPT syncing etc. It's the "proper" way of booting the OS.

But I read there are other problems that come with it, so it might just not be worth it.

Jaka