Linux on VPC

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by edesignuk, Sep 2, 2002.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I want to setup Linux on VPC, any recomendations as to the best version of Linux to run?

2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I don't know alot about Linux, but I am a member of the WYLUG, and they seem to like Suse Linux alot, its the version I plan to have a look at one day.

Thanks,
    Ensign

3. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i installed slackware without any hassles into VPC. i'm sure even with all suggestion given here, your mileage will vary.

4. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

lots of my friends recommend suse, but i have a copy of mandrake linux, so when i get a mac, i'll install that on vpc

5. FatTony macrumors regular

What's the point?

I've got a copy ov VPC 5.0 on my Mac, but I don't use it. Should I? I don't want or need windows, but Linux sound interesting. What do y'all do or plan on doing with Linux on VPC?

6. PyroTurtle macrumors regular

7. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I use a version of Red Hat at work, and it works just fine. If you use Fink, then you might want to go with Debian, since fink uses debian's packet manager (or so they say on their website)

So that leads me to the question... Why would you run Linux when you can use fink? Fink gives you pretty much every app that comes with Linux. Is there some app that they do not support? Their support for X Windows is great. X Darwin works like a charm. The rootless mode is great, where you can have aqua and x windows on the same screen. I use it with dual monitors, and I can drag an xwindow from one screen to another.

Go to :
    fink.sourceforge.net

get fink FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO INSTALL IT. The installer installs a command line installer that is very easy to use, once you get the hang of it. Plus the installer has a ton of instructions to help you figure it out. Forget VPC. It sucks for anything beyond Win98.

8. noht* macrumors member

ummm...am i missing something here...?
    why would someone run linux in VPC when there is a native linux around?
    i know that there are apps that won't come with source code and run only on x86, but it's a minority. [opinion] and those are no real linux programs as they are not free - free as in GPL'd [/opinion]
    just download any distribution of ppc/linux. i like SuSE, but check out tuxppc.com for an overview.
    anyway, just wondering why you would want to emulate linux.

btw install executor (does it still exist..?) on WINE via a VPC-linux...full circle :D

noht

9. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

What I would like to see is an equivalent to VMWare for Macintosh. Anyone who has used it loves it. It runs on x86 hardware. You can get a binary for either linux or windows. What it does:

You have your computer. It is running Xp or redhat, whatever. you install this program. It lets you create a virtual machine. Like Virtual PC, but because that base hardware is x86, it is very fast. So for the mac, and people who want to install x86 linux, or even OS 8, whatever, have a piece of software that will let you have a virtual Mac running on your Mac.

Check out www.vmware.com. Anyone who has used it, loves it. I have a friend who has Win2k as his base OS, and ran two simultaneous VMs, one Win2k server, and the other windows 98. He was able to set up an active directory and to test client/server interaction. Each VM has its own Ip address. It is pretty sweet.

Wouldn't it be better to have an app that would allow you to run Mac OS X 10.2 as your base OS, and then have linux PPC running on a virtual mac in a window.

10. FatTony macrumors regular

I would rather run Mac OS 9 at full speed in a window if it had better results than classic.

11. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Exactly right. If there were a Mac version of VM Ware, you could run OS 9, and not classic, in a window. It would have its own IP address, access to the peripherals. It is a sweet app.

12. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

How do I install Linux in VPC

I was planning to buy a mac, and use VPC. I planned on buying the DOS version, since I have copies of Windows and Linux (Red Hat)...how do I install it? Has anyone done this?

Just wanted to know before I buy my pb;)

13. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I have the latest DOS version of VPC and have installed:
    Win XP (sucks)
    Win 98 (usable)
    Win 2K advanced server (takes about a day to install)

You should have no problem installing any windows os onto the dos version of vpc. It might take a few hours, but it should work.

14. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

Re: How do I install Linux in VPC

... I think this was the point of the thread...

you just insert the install CD. Start up VPC and create a new disk image.. there is a tool for it. Tell it what kind of OS you are going to be installing and a few other settings. Then boot up your new image. It will have no OS but it will then ask you if you want to boot off the CD that is in your drive. Boot off the CD and Then just fallow the Install wizard like normal

evildead

15. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Re: Re: How do I install Linux in VPC

Thanks. That was what I was wondering...if I could boot off of the CD or not. I've never used DOS, so I'm naive to it. Thanks for the instructions :)

[EDIT] Another quick question...VPC takes care of the system setup right? Like when Red Hat asks what keyboard, mouse, screen, video card, printer, etc.? Same deal with windows?[/EDIT]

16. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

kinda sorta

VPC will provide some stuff for Windows but Im not that usre about Linux... just take the most generic settings you can. It should try to detect what you have. i know there are some settings like "generic 2 botton mouse"

evildead