Linux shown in PS3 video

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, Sep 26, 2005.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I took this screenshot straight out of Sony's PS3 video:
    [​IMG]

Well, Sony seems to be backing up their Linux claims :D

2. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Sweet! :D

I don't recognize the theme/wm they're using, though. Some in-house thing?

Edit: And where did you get that video?

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

WOW it would be cool if Mac OSX could run on it!! it does run on a PPC G5 chip true?? COuld be a nice why to gte Linux mre into the main stream if only Linux ran on it

the sony OS a distro of Linux

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

very interesting.

i'd like very much to see that video... ;)

5. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

I'm tired of linux already....

when will it die.

6. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

same here where u get it?

7. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

i dont really know much about linux, but i dont see the point in it
    if you dont like windows use osx and if you dont like osx use windows, why would you want to use an os that has almost nothing compatible with it, and from what ive heard is hard to use

8. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

its free

9. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Here's the video.
    http://gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2185

The Linux part flashes by pretty quick, keep your eye open.

They even have a HD version with H.264. :D

No, the PS3 has a PPC chip similar to the XBox 360; no out of order execution, much slower per MHz than a G5 chip. The difference is that the XBox 360 has three of these, while the PS3 has one with seven smaller coprocessors attached that make up the Cell.

The point of Linux:
    1) It's far more stable than Windows.
    2) It's FREE. Versus Mac OS X at $129 + The Mac Tax and Windows XP at $200 for the stripped down version and $300 for the full version.
    3) With the amount of seperation between the OS and GUI, it's fully and COMPLETELY customizable. Very good for servers. Take out all the crap.
    4) Portability. Linux can run on ANYTHING. iPods, PDA's, full PC's, toasters, wristwatches, calculators, you name it, Linux runs on it.

The point of Linux on a PS3: the OS is optimized for the exact hardware, so good performance; the Cell is the perfect video processor, which makes the PS3 great for displaying multiple HD movies or more importantly, video editting; and Sony is openly supporting homebrew on Linux, so that means developers can make their own PS3-optimized games to run on Linux.

Free games is always good. That also means we'll get emulators on the PS3 :D

10. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

true, but unless your building a computer yourself your computer already comes with an os on it

11. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Or you buy it from someplace that hasn't been forced into a contract with Microsoft.

You'll find that a $500 machine from iBuyPower.com has VASTLY more power than one from Dell. I could probably get an Athlon 64 and weak graphics card even, plus a very cool case, DVD and CD-RW and a bunch of little goodies (a $500 Dell has no graphics card and usually has a Celeron or low end Pentium 4, no firewire, and a crappy box case). But no Windows.

Install Linux and pay $10 for Cedega and install WINE and you're set.

12. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Jeez, that's neat. Looks like PS3 will be my first Linux adventure.

13. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

from that screenshot i can't see is linux , it is not windowns of mac (unless they have some weird theme), your if could be some sony interface, based on linux or not..although as sony are incompetent writing software i doubt the could have written something from scratch

14. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

True, true. I run OS X on my Cube, my PB and my custom PC, and use Knoppix-STD and I just downloaded Whoppix (both Whoppix and STD are "Security Tools" based on Knoppix). But for many people, Linux is the way to go. And, you're "nothing runs on it" is the exact same argument that PC people use against Macs. If you check, a large amount of stuff does work on it, and what does work is free. Plus, unlike OS X atm, it has WINE, and so can run about 90% of Windows apps (basically, everything but the obscure ones such as SheepShape :()

EDIT: In that screenshot, is that a VM into the PS3's main thing? So you could use Linux for whatever, then drop into game mode for a few minutes to loosen up?

15. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

and if you don't want to run windows on an x86 box, what do you do? You have to run linux. plus, linux has tons of software. They probably have a better small-developer community than OS X (but less corporate support).

Also, linux can be much more highly customized to suit a particular application. Writing apps for it can be easy too because its all open source.

It can also be much less resource intensive, making it ideal for devices with limited capabilities.

PLus a lot of geeks just like playing with it.

just because you don't have a reason to use linux doesn't mean there aren't loads of legitimate reasons to do so.

and its probably worth noting that OS X is based on a similar free and open source OS: Unix. Without unix, there is no OS X as we know it. So if there was a point to unix, there's a point to linux as well.

16. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

heh it says Anubis on it (stargate SG1)

and it says on it that its the key to winning the console war.

So not being used as a console at all is the way to win the console war??? I thought consoles were for video games and computers were for OSes. So you mean i have wasted 10s of thousands of dollars on computers and nintendos.

noooooo

17. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Cool. Never used a build of Linux with a GUI before. We use a crappy text-based version at work. Looks like I'm buying all three systems again this time.

Curses to M$, Sony, and Nintendo for ensuring that I spend thousands of dollars in the next 5 years on more crap I don't really need.

I'm now convinced that there will be a marketshare shake-up this time, but that no one is leaving the console business any time soon.

18. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

19. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

well you still have to hardware to run it :p
    i have never ment a person who started off with Linux
    i see linux like OSX and XP mixed and yes i do know that Linux was pre XP and OSX

20. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Everyone will agree that Linux for normal home use sux. It's not user friendly, the default GUIs are ugly, not many games, tough to install, not much nice 'n easy software, etc.

But, it is free, stable, and can be used on older computers with some good performance. Many system/network admins use Linux for DHCP services, DNS, FTP, etc. on less fast hardware, but still very usable. Most of the times the GUI is not running (or sometimes not even installed), and then it looks ugly, geeky, and tough-to-use. But for simple services it can be an excellent alternative to the comparibly expensive Mac OS X Server or Windows Server.

The support lies in the fact that many others world wide do the same.... just "Google" your "case".

21. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

If Sony makes their own Linux distro with a more user friendly interface but all the options of the other distros; or just have a normal Linux distro and put every program you would ever want to use in the default install so users don't have to bother installing new apps (thats what kills new users, it's tough to install stuff), they could really boost Linux popularity.

And the support of homebrew is going to be very nice.

22. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

Linux is FAR better for scientific computing than Windows is. You also have ability to give a process the full CPU, using a real-time kernel. These are things you can't do in either Windows or OS X. It's true that it's a niche OS, but it definitely has its uses.

Also, it's really not that hard to use, it's just a bit different.

MWP

23. belvdr macrumors 601

Slow down there as your statements are not correct.

Unix is not free and is not open source. OS X is based on BSD, which is the Berkeley Software Distribution. BSD is open source and free to the taking.

24. belvdr macrumors 601

I suggest you try Knoppix on a CD. You run no risk of losing any data and you can see what a Linux GUI does and how easy it is to use.

25. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It also has more free software than any other OS :D