Linux still miles behind Microsoft (

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by 1macker1, Jan 23, 2004.

1. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2002
    Hmm, Linux has a 2.8% marketshare. At least Apple is still #2.

I'm all for Linux becoming more mainstream, but they have to get really organized and come up with fixes for those cut-&-paste bugs before it can be accepted by the masses.

Somebody really needs to take a stand against MS's monopoly. Apple can't do this alone.
  2. 1macker1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2003
    A Higher Level
    I find redhat hard to use, but that's because it's brand new to me. I think that the only reason why Windows is so popular, is because that is the OS most people were raised on. Most of the people out there only know about Windows. I think all the 'other' software companies need more exposure. Sun is working on something called "Looking Glass" and it sure looks cool. But it also has to be functional.
  3. Independence macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2003
    United States
    Linux has the potential. It just needs some more time to develope. However, it'll be two more years before the next version of Windows is released. Like the article said, that could give Linux just the edge it needs to pull ahead.
  4. mac15 macrumors 68040

Dec 29, 2001
    I'd rather use windows over linux anyday. Linux isn't my cup of tea
  5. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2003
    Washington DC
    I agree windows is still a better operating system than linux. You have to remember linux is constantly being updated. It's getting easier and easier for the average person to install and use it. I've tried a few different versions over the years, and there is definite progress being made. Open Source simply rocks.
  6. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2003
    if i remember correctly, unix was only for giant serverfarms in the early 90s, but drifted down to osx at the turn of the millenium.

linux maybe ideal for ibm's blades, but it seems a little too complicated, raw, and undeveloped for mass use

linux will become more developed by the end of the decade, even if the ibm ad campaign claims that linux is all grown up
  7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    So there is no commerical software for Linux?

Ummmm... not really... what the heck are they talking about?

What is this person on?

We gave up?

What the hell is that?
  8. Dippo macrumors 65816

Sep 27, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    I installed Mandrake Linux a couple of months ago and it was actually usable. Everything came setup and it could play all my music and movies.

Of course none of the software I use is made for Linux yet, so I haven't booted into it for months.

But I was surprised how much easier it was use compared to when I tried to use just a little under 2 years ago.
  9. AhmedFaisal Guest

I still have several issues with Linux

First, lack of organization and leadership, just watching the constant BS going down at XFree86 is turning me off.... and its like this all over the place, its not choice of options its plain chaos.

Second, sure, I can take a SuSE, Mandrake, whatever box and install it and it is easy to do so, but once you wish to go beyond whats in the box, or maybe even configure the box according to your needs, oh boy.... configuring the box installations is NOT fun, Windoze is more friendly than that and going beyond....... I can already hear "c'mon, typing ./configure, make, su make install ain't hard". Sure it is not, but its almost never that easy, there is additional ./configure arguments to use, missing packages, custom paths, language settings etc... Sure *I* can do that, but Joe average? I think not.