Linux? ubuntu?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by celebrian23, Jun 12, 2006.

1. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I've been looking at linux, specifically ubuntu for a couple of weeks. Anyone have any experience and like to talk about it? I just find linux very intriguing and hoping to use it possibly some day soon.

2. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

What do you want me to say about it?

It's decent and usable, but I still had to run through all sorts of terminal tweaking and editing of config files to, 1, get hardware acceleration on the graphics card and, 2, install a media player that I could use for web content and stuff (RealPlayer). On the other hand, the Macromedia Flash plug-in installed with just a couple of clicks in Firefox. That was a nice surprise compared to my earlier headache inducing experiences with Linux usability.

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Any Linux will require a sort of DIY attitude and no inhibitions about changing settings/config files and installing things the command line way. In my experience Ubuntu looks pretty, bundles with some goodies and runs smoothly enough.

Live CD is good if you just want to play.

4. kildraik macrumors 6502a

kildraik

5. celebrian23 thread starter macrumors 65816

celebrian23

Well I've always wanted to try something challenging, and linux seems very interesting. I've always been a DIY kind of person. I know it won't be easy but people tell me though the learning curve is high, once you get it most like it. And how can you not adore that linux penguin? :p

6. Uma888 macrumors 6502

I prefer Slackware my self, never tryed a Debian Based Distro

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I use SuSE at uni. It's not bad, I guess, but I really don't know because it's the only one I've ever used. :p Heard it was easier than some of the others.

8. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I tried forever to download SuSE, as it seemed like the best option for me, however after it failed on Disc 3 several times, I gave up. I decided to go with Mandriva and it has been a lot of fun... getting the right nVidia drivers and installing them taught me a lot about LINUX... lol.

9. Uma888 macrumors 6502

Try the FTP install, That way you only DL what you need rather than everything, works every time for me

10. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

i dont particularly like ubuntu, but i find it usable.

11. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

I tried to upgrade a Breezy Badger install to Dapper Drake, using a guide linked from the Ubuntu forums. Needless to say, it has left my Ubuntu in a state of limbo. It doesn't know if it's Breezy Badger or Dapper Drake.

Oh, and this was from home using the RPM system. I tried to do it at the University and it wouldn't even work. Then again I was on Wireless, and it would make sense for Temple's wireless to have hard security policies.