Linux/UNIX Migrator's Guide?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jwoltman, Oct 15, 2004.

1. jwoltman macrumors newbie

I'm typing this on my brand new 12" PowerBook, and I must say I'm impressed. However, I am used to Linux/Solaris/*BSD, and was wondering if there was some kind of guide or FAQ that details what's different with OS X compared to other UNIX-type systems.

Like, what is the root password? Where do my personal preferences get stored? I installed Firefox, and went looking for my .mozilla folder but couldn't find it. Basic stuff like that is what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I haven't seen anything in particular.

You can activate root and set a password through NetInfo Manager in /Applications/Utilities in the security menu. You have to authenticate with your administrator password first.

Preferences are stored under your user area, usually in Library/Preferences but application options are also stored under Application Support.

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Sorry, don't know about any such FAQ or guide (maybe someone else will), but I can answer your questions.

OS X ships disables the root account by default for security purposes. Any admin account can use 'sudo' so you're never completely locked out. If you want to enable the root account: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106290

Your prefs are stored in ~/Library/Preferences/. Not familiar with the .mozilla folder - what's typically in there?

edit - bous' beat me by 2 minutes. :mad: ;)

4. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Folders and files that start with . are hidden in Finder. You can see them with Terminal by doing a 'ls -al'.
    System-wide preferences are stored in the /Library folder.
    User Preferences are stored in /Users/username/Library

I used google a lot, and i figured things out after a short while.

Lee Tom

5. jwoltman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both for your quick responses. I will be poking around a lot this weekend. I already re-installed everything once :) just to see what the process was like (and disabled Classic while I was at it)