Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBPi7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Enjoying the new OS.
Unfortunately I seem to have no firewire. My audio interface no longer seems visible to OSX or Logic.
Anybody else having this problem?

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
I don't have an audio device but after installing Lion I tried connecting my FW800 RAID enclosure and it worked just fine (and the software RAID was recognized as it should).

polkunus

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2011
Lion kept on crashing with my firewire solo. I installed beta drivers and it worked fine.

MBPi7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Thanks, that's encouraging. Still no luck here. Anyone else using an FW1884?

Enlightenme1127

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
Kernel Panic !!

Since Lion, every time I turn on my firewire 400 MAudio pro fire 2626 I Kernel Panic and crash.
And then if I attempt to boot and the audio interface is turned on, I kernel panic before I even get passed spinning gear.

I also have a LaCie FW800 drive attached that is working fine.

Enlightenme1127

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
running a Drobo v2 over here over FW800 on a late 2009 iMac, no problems at all

It seems to be audio interfaces, not hard drives that are having problems.

Just came from m-audio site, there was an update promising this:

"
● Fixed a problem that caused a crash on Mac OS X version 10.7. "

Let's see what happens.

Ukdeluded

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
Fw-1884

@MPBi7 - I've got the FW-1884 and I can confirm it does not work with Lion. I've spoken to Tascam and they will not be developing a 64-bit version version of the driver so it's a dead duck.

I have asked Tascam if I can get the code for their 32-bit driver so I can make a 64-bit one, but I have no idea if they'll help or not. If they do I'll let you know.

appahappa

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2010
@MPBi7 - I've got the FW-1884 and I can confirm it does not work with Lion. I've spoken to Tascam and they will not be developing a 64-bit version version of the driver so it's a dead duck.

I have asked Tascam if I can get the code for their 32-bit driver so I can make a 64-bit one, but I have no idea if they'll help or not. If they do I'll let you know.

I've got the same problem. Really annoying. The FW-1884 is a nice product but the driver situation always been a mess. Only the last driver version 1.7 was really stable. Won't buy anything from Tascam! A buddy of mine has the Mackie Onyx 1640i Mixer it doesn't even need a driver under Mac OS X. Works out of the box!

Ukdeluded

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
FW-1884 on Lion WORKING!!!!!!!

If anyone is still reading this, then here is the fix. For the FW-1884 to work with lion, you have to put Lion into 32 bit mode. After a lot of testing I've found no problems with this and both Logic and FW-1884 work perfectly, faster I'd say than Snow Leopard still.

Open up terminal and type this in:

sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture i386

Put in your password and then reboot.

When you want to go back to 64bit for whatever reason, open terminal, type:

sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture x86_64

Password, reboot.

Hope this helps some of you FW-1884 users!

Adampeters841

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
FW1884 in Lion w. Ivybridge Processor

Hi Ukdeluded,

Have you had any joy with Tascam giving you access to the code to try and write a firmware update to the 1884 to run in 64bit mode. It seems like Apple are no longer support the 32-bit kernel since they shifted over to the Ivybridge Processors, however they neglected to inform people of this at all.

If you've got the code I'd be willing to pay for it as well.

Thanks,

Adam

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
no issues with FW800>400 adapter and two different Motu products.

could just be bad driver writing, or a 32/64 bit driver thing.

scenicview

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
Provo, UT
Mac Pro with LION and FW-1884?

If anyone is still reading this, then here is the fix. For the FW-1884 to work with lion, you have to put Lion into 32 bit mode. After a lot of testing I've found no problems with this and both Logic and FW-1884 work perfectly, faster I'd say than Snow Leopard still.

Open up terminal and type this in:

sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture i386

Put in your password and then reboot.

When you want to go back to 64bit for whatever reason, open terminal, type:

sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture x86_64

Password, reboot.

Hope this helps some of you FW-1884 users!

Just curious Ukdeluded... what computer were you using? I know this is an old post, but I've just set up a Mac Pro with LION and can't get the FW-1884 to work, even when booting up in 32-bit mode. In a post on another forum, someone was saying its an actual hardware incompatibility between the 2009 Mac Pro's firewire ports and the Tascam FW-1884. Were you by chance using a Mac Pro? If so, or if you know that 2009 Mac Pros will work somehow, this would be great. If not, it'd be nice to know if you DIDN'T use a Mac Pro just so I can be sure it won't work and revert to Snow Leopard. Thanks!

mzb

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2014
Mac Pro with LION and FW-1884?

Just curious Ukdeluded... what computer were you using? I know this is an old post, but I've just set up a Mac Pro with LION and can't get the FW-1884 to work, even when booting up in 32-bit mode. In a post on another forum, someone was saying its an actual hardware incompatibility between the 2009 Mac Pro's firewire ports and the Tascam FW-1884. Were you by chance using a Mac Pro? If so, or if you know that 2009 Mac Pros will work somehow, this would be great. If not, it'd be nice to know if you DIDN'T use a Mac Pro just so I can be sure it won't work and revert to Snow Leopard. Thanks!

Hey scenicview, I know this is an old post ;) and you've probably moved on, but for the record my FW-1884 works fine on my 2009 MacPro 4,1 with 32-bit Lion. It sometimes takes a reboot or two before the Mac recognizes the FW connection to the Tascam. Only other weirdness I've noticed is that the Play transport button doesn't work with Garageband ... but everything else seems to be fine.

Now, if someone could just figure out a way to make the FW-1884 run in 64-bit mode, my life would be complete!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.