Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

novagamer

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2006
Has anyone else tried to use multiple monitors with Lion? When you fullscreen apps it totally wastes the space on the other app, and my usage model for Spaces no longer works either (rows rather than columns).

It works really well on my Macbook Pro's monitor alone but it really seems built for a single-screen environment. Spaces no longer works, exposé (multi-apps) no longer works, both buttons just activate mission control which is a conglomeration that does not do any one thing better than exposé and spaces did alone. Dragging an application window between spaces is possible but in order to drag it back you have to go into that space then re-activate mission control then drag the window back. It's so, so unintuitive.:(

nanosour

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009
Dragging an application window between spaces is possible but in order to drag it back you have to go into that space then re-activate mission control then drag the window back. It's so, so unintuitive.:(

Isn't this the truth....can't see how this is an improvement of any kind.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Like the right mouse button, I think Apple doesn't want to optimize OS X for multiple monitors unless they can get the experience right for everyone. As such, it remains a power user's feature, a clumsily implemented mess. Menu bar only on the primary window, a difficult to hunt mouse pointer, and Lion's full screen mode rendering multiple monitors useless.

Ideally, each monitor should become a space/desktop. As you mouse over to another monitor, the OS should change the active app (foreground app) to whatever was last active on the new monitor.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
I've loved Lion with dual monitors. Yes, the full-screen app feature is lost on dual monitor users, but Mission Control is excellent. I know, others are dissatisfied with it, but I think it's just a matter of preferring keyboard shortcuts to gesture controls.

The ease of use is fantastic. I'd like it to be a bit more flexible in how windows can be moved around from desktop to desktop, but it still works quite well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.