Lion Boot disk/disk recovery tools

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by tigress666, Jul 28, 2011.

1. macrumors 68040

Apr 14, 2010
    Washington State
    Ok, so on my Snow Leopard disk that comes with my computer it also has hard drive recovery tools and the ability to go into Unix itself.

Anyone know if I create a Lion boot disk if it will have the same (or at the very least go into a unix shell?)? I ask this because if something goes wrong with my hard drive that would require me to have the boot disk, I'd also like a chance to maybe get stuff off the hard drive (last time my hard drive crashed the recovery tools were pretty useless as they'd hit a bad part of the drive and refuse to do anything more and just not copy anything but I was able to go into a Unix shell and just tell it directly to just copy whatever was copyable).

I'm wondering if I go to Lion if I lose the ability to look around my hard drive if it crashes enough it won't start up my computer but not enough that I can't get it to spin and be at least readable (That's usually what happens when my HD drive fails in my experience. I've been lucky enough not to have a complete failure. I at least get some warning enough to get my stuff off).

Yes, at this point I do have a backup drive but still, it's nice to have that option.
  2. macrumors member

Jun 18, 2011
    an easier way would be to do what I do

get a small ext usb HDD mine cost 40 quid and is a samsung 1.8 inch 160gb unit very small and the correct colour

put a install a Lion install on it ( it works fine ) use that to boot from in a crisis situation

BTW I have mine set up as
    Part 1 Lion bootable DMG
    Part 2 lion system
    Part 3 files for the use off :D

that way you can get at your system