Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

breonwei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
hi,
I have installed Lion on my MBP 2011. I need to install win 7 x 64 in bootcamp and need an extra partition for my PC user data. The desired partitions as below;

(500gb HDD)
Macintosh HD - Lion
Win 7 - Win 7
Data - PC user data

How do I create extra partition for my PC user data? I can think of the following steps but not sure if it will work;

1. bootcamp 4, create 100GB for Win 7
2. install win 7 at bootcamp
3. repartition Macintosh HD to 2 partition - 100GB Lion, 299GB for Data

Will above plan work out well? For PC user data, should I format it to ex FAT? Can Lion support native NTFS? If I format it to ex FAT, can win 7 access it safely for the 299GB Data partition?

Thanks!

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
hi,
I have installed Lion on my MBP 2011. I need to install win 7 x 64 in bootcamp and need an extra partition for my PC user data. The desired partitions as below;

(500gb HDD)
Macintosh HD - Lion
Win 7 - Win 7
Data - PC user data

How do I create extra partition for my PC user data? I can think of the following steps but not sure if it will work;

1. bootcamp 4, create 100GB for Win 7
2. install win 7 at bootcamp
3. repartition Macintosh HD to 2 partition - 100GB Lion, 299GB for Data

Will above plan work out well? For PC user data, should I format it to ex FAT? Can Lion support native NTFS? If I format it to ex FAT, can win 7 access it safely for the 299GB Data partition?

Thanks!

Do exactly what you said in the above post, but if you want to have NTFS functionality, use the program from Paragon called NTFS for Mac OS X. It is the only NTFS driver that supports Lion to my knowledge. Windows 7 can access any exFAT drive, but under Boot Camp, it can also access HFS + drives as well.

FNH15

breonwei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
FNH15,
TQ so much for the quick reply, appreciate it, I will give it a try.

As for the exFAT i hope it is a good choice to go to as compared to Paragon, as I do not need the data partition to be in NTFS.

breonwei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
After installing Win 7 x64 using bootcamp, I re-partition Macintosh HD and now I am not able to see Win 7 when booting up.

What is the best way to create multiple partitions in Lion & Win 7?

daLat

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2011
i also want to do something similar

whereas i want it to be

Total 320gb

50 gb lion
120 gb home (lion personal data folder)
50 gb win 7

can someone tell me how i can set this up?

here are my thoughts:

1. wipe the whole drive
2. format it to 50 gb(mac os x journaled), 120gb (mac os x journaled), 50gb (fat 32)
2b. name the fat 32 to "BOOTCAMP" just incase
3. install win 7 by holding c and target the fat 32 disk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.