Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malias4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Greece and Holland
Hi there ,my new imac comes in 2 days but its snow leopard pre installed..

if i download lion from app store, burn it on a dvd and then do a clean instal this will install also all the apps that come with the mac os ?

Or only lion will be installed and i have to manually download everything like itunes,iLife Suite, iMovie, iDVD and iPhoto?

And if so do i have to pay or theese are free anyway?

Knoodles

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Gone to the Beach
The OS install does not include the iLife suite which is iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD and iWeb. They are on the restore DVDs that will come with the new iMac. No need to download them. Just install iLife from the restore DVD.

malias4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Greece and Holland
ok thanks :D so after the clean instal i ll just have to install the apps from that cd thats in the box !!

Thank you, do u suggest clean instal or just to upgrade on top of snow leo?:(

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Yes. You will have to redownload every apps that you mentioned. However, they all should be free even Lion if your iMac is brand new from Apple! BTW if you get SL with your iMac all you need to do is download Lion and install it no need for a clean install.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
There's no need to do a clean install. No need to burn a DVD either, just install Lion the way it was intended to be installed, especially since with a new computer there won't be any data to worry about. Download from the App Store, double-click the installer, and boom, you're done!

jW

malias4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Greece and Holland
ι just thought that because it ill be on top of leopard maybe it will be slow or buggy..
so better just download it and install eh?:confused:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
ι just thought that because it ill be on top of leopard maybe it will be slow or buggy..
so better just download it and install eh?:confused:

Yes, if you're computer is brand new, it'll be fine. If your mac is secondhand, then I'd do a clean install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.