Lion Clean Install Requires Snow Leopard Disk?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 21, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In order to perform a "clean install" of Lion -- on a new hard drive or when restoring a machine to sell it, for example -- users will need to install Snow Leopard first, according to an email forwarded to MacRumors, purportedly from Apple CEO Steve Jobs.

We have inspected the raw header information included in the email and believe it to be genuine, but these emails must always be taken with a grain of salt.
    And Steve's typically short response:
    If this is true, it seems likely Apple will continue to sell Snow Leopard for the foreseeable future for users upgrading from Leopard and to perform clean installs.

Apple still sells Leopard for users who wish to upgrade their pre-Intel PowerPC Macs. Leopard is $129 and only available through 800-MY-APPLE, not the Apple Online Store or the retail stores. The company could offer Snow Leopard in the same surreptitious manner.

Article Link: Lion Clean Install Requires Snow Leopard Disk?

2. macrumors regular

Apple has gone crazy with this release?

What happened to user experience and ease of use? C'mon.

3. macrumors regular

interconnect

Uh oh. This is really, really not good.

4. macrumors 6502

macbwizard

Surely you can't be serious.

5. macrumors P6

dukebound85

such an elegant solution /sarcasm

6. macrumors G5

nagromme

About what I’d expect during this transition.

I expect new machines will start to come with a key disc or flash drive (like the Air), which may not have the full Lion (since that’s downloadable) but will take the place of the Snow Leopard disc for a vital purpose: getting the thing to boot when no usable OS is on the internal!

It’s a downloadable OS. Would you expect a new install on a non-bootable drive to not require any media at all? (I do think that will come in future, but there would have to be pretty advanced firmware to make the download happen.) Or would you expect it to require something other than the Snow Leopard disc that you had to have before you bought Lion anyway?

I suppose Apple could have a way to make your own emergency disc “just in case," but almost nobody would do it. So, for now, use Snow Leopard as the emergency disc.

It could be argued that OS’s should not be downloads; that it’s too soon to make that leap. Since I’m not a modem user, I disagree and welcome this (very slightly rough) transition away from coffee coasters! :)

7. macrumors 68000

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't the definition of a clean install rule out installing Snow Leopard and the upgrade to Lion? A clean install, in my mind, means installing the OS from scratch on your new system/drive.

8. macrumors member

You're upgrading it wrong.

Side to MacRumors: surreptitious seems like a bit of an overstatement...

9. macrumors 6502

TimUSCA

Wouldn't it make more sense to just have a "Create Install Disk" function built into the OS?

10. macrumors 6502

For most users (who are not nearly as technically as the average MR poster) that is friendly... er.

I will be doing a clean install of SL before I download Lion.

11. macrumors 6502

This is just plain stupid. I'm not going to keep an album of previous OS releases on disk because Apple wants to toy around with the Mac App Store.

Isn't the point to move away from physical media?

12. macrumors 6502a

It might not be brilliant, but it works. Just reinstall Snow Leopard and you can download Lion again for free from the Mac App Store with your Apple I.D. Makes sense to me...

13. macrumors 6502a

You only have to do it once, because once Lion is installed, it will put a recovery partition on the hard disk. So you won't need a disc after the initial install.

14. macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Can't bielieve im hearing this from Apple

I thought the article was on windows for a min:rolleyes:

Something needs to be done about that. Fiddly

15. Editor emeritus

longofest

That is ridiculously stupid. How un-apple like

Edit: I had bounced around this and other options in a blog post just yesterday. For instance, Apple could still have physical media only at Apple Stores, or via special order.

I simply can't believe Apple is being this obstinate about being Mac App Store only

16. macrumors member

andi242

I just can not believe this.

We'll find a way anyway.

17. macrumors newbie

mmm

:D

you can do that, or wait for some ISO release, USB install, etc.
    From apple or from another respetable source as tpb

18. macrumors P6

MacDawg

I remain skeptical of this

19. macrumors 6502

How about brand new devices? (like next gen MBA or MPro)? Or will these machines host a basic OS chip, from which you can reach the app store.

20. macrumors newbie

In the developer preview, the way to do a clean install (that I've used for every developer preview) is to create a blank partition, formatted as HFS+, and tell the installer to install Lion there.

21. macrumors regular

inket

Steve Jobs doesn't know a thing about Lion. He only cares about iOS.

Yes, you can clean install Lion without Snow Leopard.

22. macrumors 6502

Slow connection?

23. macrumors 65816

dagamer34

24. macrumors 65816

frunkis54

Its not that bad only have to add an xtra step of intallining 2 OS's on a new hard drive instead of 1.:eek:

25. Watabou, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

macrumors 68030

Watabou

This is un-apple like. Come on apple, what's so wrong about physical medias? They can at least provide a USB for those who need it...