Lion - Free Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by scottgroovez, Mar 28, 2011.

1. scottgroovez macrumors regular

May 20, 2010
    With Lion coming up in the Summer, should Apple offer free upgrades to customers who buy a Mac now? I say that as potential customers could be holding out on purchasing a Mac until the new OSX is released, wouldn't it be better to secure those as customers now and give them the Lion when it's available. I'm keen to get a Mac, I can wait but if I knew I was eligible to get Lion free I'd probably pull the trigger now.

I know a similar thing was offered to Windows users, a free upgrade to 7 when it was released.
  2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

Feb 19, 2008
    Typically give you 2 weeks or so. Release date hasn't even been announced.
  3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

Oct 16, 2007
    I don't remeber exactly how it was with leopard or even SL, but i think if you buy a mac after a certain date, you are eligible for a discounted disc- not a free copy
  4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    As with all Apple computers purchased just before the release of a new OS, a drop in disk will be found in older models still on shelves after the release and you will be given an opportunity to get a free or severely discounted copy of the new OS if purchased in Apple's determined timeframe. I bought a Mac Mini about 30 days before Snow Leopard came out and was able to get SL for free.
  5. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Dec 31, 2010
    I think for SL there was a timeframe (4 weeks?) for getting SL for free. Then there was a separate timeframe outside of that for getting SL for $10. I may be wrong, as I did not qualify for either.
  6. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2007

If you were within a month of Launch Day, you got it for free. There was a separate time frame that allowed you to get it for $10. Outside of that, you could buy it outright for $30 (if you already had 10.5) or $129 if you needed the box set.

I would assume that 10.7 upgrades will be handled in a similar fashion, but we don't know pricing yet on the full version.
  7. syriaccjoseph macrumors newbie

Jun 7, 2011
    No free upgrade

It seems that the upgrade was charged $10 for those who purchased a Mac after June 8th 2009 for Snow Leopard released on August 18th 2009 . Similar pricing may follow for Lion release.

Check Lion up to date program to find more information