Lion iCal any good?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by akatsuki, May 21, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

I've seen the pics… the question I have is, is it any good? iCal has always been mediocre, and I have been contemplating buying the overly expensive BusyCal, but if Lion's calendar improves on entering in appointments, then I'll probably just wait.

So anyone who has used Lion's calendar extensively able to comment?

2. celticpride678

Honestly, I think this is the best iCal yet. The design...not amazing, but the features are welcome additions.

3. macrumors member

Does it include week-numbers out of the box? I've always found this to be the weirdest and most irritating omission in iCal. I would like it if I didn't have to set up a special calendar just to see something as basic as a week-number.

4. macrumors 68040

petvas

Which features do you mean? Apart from push MobileMe support, I haven't noticed anything. I haven't spent a lot of time with it,so maybe I missed something.

5. celticpride678

Year view + heat maps, improved day view, quick events, etc.

6. macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

I run iCal in full screen no matter what, so for me the design really doesn't look that bad. Also I really love the new features stated above. Best iCal yet, I think.

7. celticpride678

Very true - the new iCal doesn't look bad at all in full screen...not full screen? Yuck!

8. macrumors regular

9. macrumors member

That is awesome. Apple's philosophy seems to be to give the user the minimum and let 3rd party software provide the features for the hard-core users.

10. macrumors newbie

How does quick events work?

11. macrumors member

sidebar missing???

12. macrumors member

iCal is drastically improved . . .

It is now bound in leather.

:rolleyes:

13. macrumors 68030

tkermit

Quick Add

14. macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Totally disgusting. If I wanted a paper planner, I'd buy one.

This is high tech... Oh Come On Apple... It's crap!

15. macrumors member

Why would Apple change something that has been working for years and years?

16. grahamperrin, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

macrumors 68040

sidebar missing from iCal in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Unfortunately yes, Apple has removed the sidebar, causing great frustration for people who require the always-on list of calendars.

For people with more than a handful of calendars, the popover is an extremely poor substitute.

Please send feedback to Apple asking for the lost functionality to be restored.

BusyCal with sidebar — an alternative to iCal without sidebar

BusyCal lacks support for Microsoft Exchange Server.

That aside, the interface of BusyCal — comparable to iCal in Snow Leopard — is far preferable to the dumbed-down reduced functionality iCal in Lion.

For each troublesome aspect of iCal in Lion, please send one item of feedback to Apple.

Cross references

sidebar missing from iCal in Lion — seeking a third party product to restore lost functionality — Apple Support Communities (in Identi.ca and in Twitter)

iCal in Lion (in MacRumors Forums)

17. macrumors newbie

iCal hurts my eyes, I cant use it like this. Got to find another Calendar. And the address book? Even worse.

18. macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Was hoping to move back to ical from busycal

but when i see they removed the left sidebar with calendars in (as a permant stay on feature), I am going to stick with busycal

19. macrumors regular

iwan073

Can anyone add a Google account to their iCal?
    Mine won't work

20. macrumors newbie

Printing to do list

Can anyone tell me what happens when you print iCal with a list view? I'm hoping that the to do list prints out the same way it was organized, which doesn't happen in Snow Leopard.

Thanks.

21. macrumors newbie

de gustibus non disputandum est

22. macrumors newbie

Lion's new iCal

Is it any good? NO!
    I have 3 intel Macs (24" first gen iMac, 13" first-gen MacBookAir, 27" Corei7 iMac). Did the Lion update on MacBook Air first, but didn't realise just how bad iCal was/is.
    Not just the aesthetics, but its next-to-unfixability. With the same accounts synced via MobileMe, the first two are functional as "designed". The third continues to replicate a CalDAV account bringing the server to its knees. One thousand iterations is a bit much to delete via the Preferences pane. Finding the hidden Library directory, the deleting the Calendar directory contents cleaned it up for a moment. I also deleted the mail accounts on the same server, and all the keychains.
    It's back growing again and I don't have the energy to fix it. Plan B suggestions, anyone? Do I finally just bury iCal?