Lion installation disc?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Skika, Feb 7, 2011.

1. macrumors 68020

Hi,

i have a question, if my friend plans to buy a mac later this year when Lion will be included standard, can you use that disc to install on other Macbooks? I heard that disc that come with the computers are made just for them, is that true?

Tnx

2. macrumors P6

MacDawg

If it stays true to form, discs that come with a computer will be machine specific and not able to be used on other computers

3. simsaladimbamba

You won't be able to use that DVD as it is tied to the machine.
    You need to go the legal route and buy ...

4. macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

How about waiting for the release date for Lion, then buying a Mac a week before. You'll get the Snow Leopard DVD which will be machine specific, but you should then be able to get the Lion installer disk for the price of shipping and handling - usually $9.95 or something. That way it should be a universal disk and not tied to a machine?

Just an idea

pac

5. macrumors member

supermariofan25

why don't you just buy it?

Why don't buy it? it's only about $40 AUD i think:)

6. simsaladimbamba

The OP is talking about a future iteration of Mac OS X, called Lion and to be released in summer 2011. Therefore the OP can't buy it yet, but prices are unknown too.
    What you seem to refer to is Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, the current iteration of Mac OS X and it costs 39 A$ as you implied: http://store.apple.com/au/product/MC573Z/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

7. macrumors 68030

MattInOz

Or wait and buy the computer in the week after. If you buy a stock machine they normally have the same mail in disks to put in the box, until the New OS stock starts to role in.