Lion : Laggy, crashes, reboots.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by jadot, Dec 3, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

Apr 6, 2010
    I've been putting up with this for a little while now.

I'm running mainly Apple Apps such as Aperture, Pages, mail, Safari, iTunes with a bit of CS5 thrown in.
    iMac, 27, 3.4 i7, 12Gb Ram.
    At least 3-5 times a week I'm having major system crashes needing a reboot. In between I'm suffering extremely laggy performance just for simple tasks such as scrolling. Apps freeze, apps shut down without notice.

Why? The iMac 24" 2.93, 8Gb Ram I had before ran Aperture (for Example) really well with no problems AT ALL. In fact I rarely had a catastrophic system crash with SL - maybe two?

What gives? The only thing that's different (Apart from a major iMac upgrade, and moving from 8 to 12GB ram) is the operating system.

I know, I know. You're using the same apps as me and everything's going just fine for you. That's great, but I want to hear from the users who've had similar issues, and maybe even fixed them.

Are you there?
  2. C64
    macrumors 6502a

Sep 3, 2008
    Did you do an upgrade or clean install?
    What does Applications/Utilities/ say?

I bought a new Mac mini last summer and had similar problems, even though it was completely new and a factory installation. I eventually did a full wipe and re-installed Lion. No problems since.

Of course that's not an easy solution, but it might be worth the try. If you create a Time Machine backup of your system as it is now, you can easily set it back if a fresh install doesn't turn out to solve anything.
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 6, 2010
    >> Ugh.

it's a brand new machine, brand new install, all updated with all the software I use updated too. A clean install isn't the answer for me - who has the time?
    Also, it's a bit of a shot in the dark. Even if it did solve the problem, it would be hard to trace what caused it in the first place, meaning that it could easily re-occur.
    No. Thanks, but no thanks! I'm not looking for a patch here. The system worked just fine before on a machine with less processing power and less RAM. The only thing different is the OS.

I want to know if anybody has had similar problems and fixed it WITHOUT doing a wipe and re-install - If that's how to fix things in Lion, that's ridiculous! And it tells us nothing about the problem.
  4. macrumors 6502

Jan 5, 2011
    yes yes yes. we all know Lion is ****. get over it and just install SL and if snow leopard didnt come with your mac, thats sucks...
  5. macrumors 601

Jul 3, 2011
    So what you should have said was " I don't like that solution, any one else have one?"

That solution will probably work BTW
  6. thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 6, 2010
    Thanks for your help.

Great, thanks. Real helpful.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Sep 5, 2009
    I had terrible animation lags all within Lion. In a brand new 15" MBP. Aperture is a mess, tho this is more in relation to Aperture than Lion. Aperture has never been a bug-free app.

I tried everything. And I rally mean anything I found online.

The only real solution was the one I did yesterday. Completely erase my disk, and then re-install Lion.

Also, I found somewhere that the Thunderbolt update is faulty and might be causing problems in some systems. So I'm not downloading it for the moment.