Lion Network Accounts vs Local Accounts File Sharing Issues

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by skorpian23, Jul 29, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Jul 29, 2011
    I need some guidance...I recently did a fresh install of Lion Server on my Mac Mini. (I had SL Server on it before this)

After I setup Network accounts on Lion and enabled File Sharing, I attempted to connect to my Lion Server from my Windows 7 Laptop. I am able to connect if I use the local Lion account (the Administrator account) but I cannot connect from the Network account I set up.

I confirmed that File Sharing is enables, the odd thing is if I go to System Preferences -> Sharing -> File Sharing. I click on Option and I do have "Share File and Folder over SM" enabled, but the list of uses below only shows local accounts, none of the network accounts.

So my question is how do I allow my network accounts to access my Mac Lion Server Files/Folders using File Share from a Windows client? This worked fine on Snow Leopard Server.

Unlimited Web Hosting at
  2. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 29, 2011
  3. macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

Mar 5, 2009
    Could it be related to the reprogramming of SMB by Apple?
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 29, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. That was my thought as well, but I was hoping someone else more familiar with Lion Server might know how to resolve the issue. I am having multiple issues using a Windows client with Lion Server; Using Max OS as a AD Domain controller is gone, certain files will not open such as Quicken files and the iTunes library stored on the server, Hard Drive showing up as a shared folder, and this issue) I did log a bug with Apple on Network accounts not working, so we will see what they say. (Assuming I hear from them). In the mean time I have given up on Lion and am re installing Snow Leopard Server.

Good luck to the rest of you running Lion Server.
  5. macrumors newbie

Sep 26, 2011

I am having similar issues. Did you ever get this resolved or find an alternative?

6. macrumors 68030

Les Kern

Apr 26, 2002
    SL is a fantastic solution, Lion is too new, too many broken parts, too many removed capabilities. Watch out, I think Apple is going to roll all services in to a standard OS and get out of the server game altoghter and stick with their iCloud as a solution to a problem we don't have. Long term might want to start looking elsewhere.