LION on MBP 13" - Volume greyed out.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by RWil85, Jul 21, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

I installed Lion on my 13" MBP yesterday - all seems to have gone well..

except for the fact that, upon a reset or shutdown/startup, the volume hardware buttons will not work..they will flash the command on the screen, but will not truly function..also, the volume icon in the top bar is greyed out.

i saw a workaround in another thread - plugging in headphones and pulling them out - that actually worked; however, i do not want to have to do that every time.

has anyone else come across this/found a fix?

thanks for the help!

2. macrumors newbie

I've got the same problem and currently using the headphone in - out as a fix. Mine was a fresh install, not an upgrade. I doubt we're alone.

3. macrumors newbie

Go into disk utility, verify disk permissions then repair disk permissions. It fixed my problem.

4. macrumors 6502

well, you aren't actually alone. I got the same problem. I'll try the headphones trick, and repair permissions as well.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

this did not work on my MBP..

thanks for the suggestion, though.

6. macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. Updated from snow leopard to lion two days ago. Fixing the permissions didn't help me.

Once I booted into the safe mode and restarted my computer. It fixed the problem for a while. I booted into the safe mode once again and the issue came back when I restarted my MBP. Now the safe mode trick doesn't help anymore.

7. macrumors 6502

using an external headphone made the trick for me.
    Quite annoying, though. Anyway, let's patiently wait for the first update, 10.7.1...

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

Seemingly, it must be a bug if users who have installed using different methods are experiencing the same problem..hopefully, it'll be fixed in a future build.

9. macrumors 6502

innominato5090

10. macrumors newbie

Fix

There is a wee latch at the back of the port that flips it from analogue to digital. If you look in and see red it is stuck on digital. Ramming a mini jack or mini tos-link in and out usually frees it.

11. macrumors 603

A mod should sticky this thread, as this bug gets posted here frequently

Attached is the best workaround I've found (kudos to whoever posted it before, sorry I don't remember who you are). It's an Applescript that will restart CoreAudio. Just install it in Login Items.

Anyone with 10.7.2 installed know if Apple fixed it yet?

Attached Files:

12. macrumors regular

I have downgraded back to SL because of this problem.....the headphone trick does work but it is annoying that you have to do it everytime after restart.....

13. macrumors 6502a

Check my sig for the workaround to this problem.