Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bencnorden

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2010
England, Brighton
Hi, I've installed the Lion Developers Preview, all legit. It's working great and everything. But what happens when the grand master comes out? Can I install it over my existing Lion partition or do I have to delete both my Snow Leopard partition and my Lion preview one and do a clean install?

Cheers :) x

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Hi, I've installed the Lion Developers Preview, all legit. It's working great and everything. But what happens when the grand master comes out? Can I install it over my existing Lion partition or do I have to delete both my Snow Leopard partition and my Lion preview one and do a clean install?

Cheers :) x

You will need to do a clean install. No upgrades from Lion DP2 to the final release.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I would think its always safest to do a full clean install when dealing with a beta version of an OS.

bencnorden

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2010
England, Brighton
Yah,

You're right I feel kind of sorry for the many people I have seen online who have installed the beta straight over the top of Snow Leopard and lost everything...

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
Isn't it a matter of just installing it from scratch, and then restore user (incl. applications) from a Time Machine backup? That's how I installed Lion, and it has worked great at least a number of times; Leopard to Snow Leopard, Snow Leopard to Lion DP1, and to DP2.

Am I missing anything by not installing all from scratch?

Bo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.