Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does Steam Work For You In 10.7 ??

• Total voters

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
USA
Thanks for the heads up. Can confirm it's working for me, but I haven't as yet been prompted to update, and will prob. refuse it for now...

what was bizarre about the Steam update was that it had no description for what the update brought. It was an empty box in the description part. But it restarted none the less (After the update installer ran) and then bounced away. Ran the Terminal command and that fixed everything though, I would say go ahead and grab that update.

emonifi

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2011
crash

I have a crash and i want to see if others can reproduce it. In steam go to
help->system information

my steam crashes here.

stevemr123

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Steam still does not work by default with the latest Lion update (11A444d).

There is a permanent fix however that will let you run Steam under Lion, including Portal 2 without problems:

1. Quit Steam
2. Go to /Applications/Steam
3. Do a "Show Package Contents"
4. Navigate to Contents/MacOS/Frameworks
5. Rename the Breakpad.framework to Breakpad.framework.x
6. Do a "Get Info" on Contents/MacOS/Frameworks
7. In the Sharing & Permissions section change everyone to "No Access", and all other entries to "Read only"
8. Launch Steam, wait until it updates, restarts and reconnects automatically

This process will eliminate the need to run the terminal command periodically (.crash file removal) and will let you play Portal 2 as well under Lion.

Good luck!

(credit for this tip goes to J and Z)

Last edited:

mkhll

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2011
@stevemr123 fix works

Just to confirm @stevemr123's fix does work for steam and more importantly Portal 2.

Thanks a million!

Varigon

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010
Can't get my beloved Bejeweled 3 to work under Lion. Anyone had any luck running it?

llirik

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
sooooooooo,

my steam seems to be broken beyond any sort of repair. I've just tried literally everything that comes up anywhere online for the last 2 hours, with no success. But the game was working fine earlier today.

I'v even deleted every single instance of steam on the computer, literally everything and tried fresh install. still no luck.

In console, the errors I keep seeing are:

"failed to load Steam Service"
"ServiceStart: failed to start"
"Errors in resource/styles/steam.styles"
"Unknown key 'visible' set in style 'html-findbar' in file 'resource/styles/steam.styles'"
"Unable to create bundle with URL /Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/osx32/steam"

I've searched for all of those, and tried anything and everything that comes up, and still no luck.

I get to "Connecting Steam account: [account]..." and then it freezes and just spins indefintely. the last thing i see in consol is
"SteamID: #########, universe Public" 3 times, and then nothing. doesn't go after this point.

Help, anyone??

----------

okay.... this is the weirdest thing now... after i posted that, i went to steams forums to post about it.... and after logging in, steam opened!

on console though, i stilll get the failed to lead Steam service, as well as now failing to connect. is it possible something was wrong with my account that SOMEHOW was crashing everything?

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
sooooooooo,

my steam seems to be broken beyond any sort of repair. I've just tried literally everything that comes up anywhere online for the last 2 hours, with no success. But the game was working fine earlier today.

I'v even deleted every single instance of steam on the computer, literally everything and tried fresh install. still no luck.

In console, the errors I keep seeing are:

"failed to load Steam Service"
"ServiceStart: failed to start"
"Errors in resource/styles/steam.styles"
"Unknown key 'visible' set in style 'html-findbar' in file 'resource/styles/steam.styles'"
"Unable to create bundle with URL /Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/osx32/steam"

I've searched for all of those, and tried anything and everything that comes up, and still no luck.

I get to "Connecting Steam account: [account]..." and then it freezes and just spins indefintely. the last thing i see in consol is
"SteamID: #########, universe Public" 3 times, and then nothing. doesn't go after this point.

Help, anyone??

----------

okay.... this is the weirdest thing now... after i posted that, i went to steams forums to post about it.... and after logging in, steam opened!

on console though, i stilll get the failed to lead Steam service, as well as now failing to connect. is it possible something was wrong with my account that SOMEHOW was crashing everything?

A new client was released this month.

llirik

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
aaaaaaaaand, it just started doing that again. the client was updated, as it does that automatically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.