Lion vs Windows 8

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.7 Lion' started by KPOM, Sep 13, 2011.

1. macrumors G4

From the previews, Windows 8 is looking very promising.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4771/microsoft-build-windows-8-pre-beta-preview

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/13/windows-8-for-tablets-hands-on-preview/

Given how much of a radical departure Windows 8 appears to be from Windows 7, does anyone here wish Apple was more aggressive with Lion? I was skeptical of the single OS for both tablets and PCs, but the early previews seem to indicate that Microsoft could pull it off. We'll see when the betas come out, but it looks promising for now.

(Mods: I wasn't sure if this was more appropriate here, in Windows on Mac, or elsewhere).

2. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I just wish Apple had not F'ed up so bad with Lion. It seems there are more problems out of the box with every new OS they're pushing. By the third or fourth update they're usually tolerable, but I miss the days of seamless upgrading without worry.

As for the rest, I don't compare windows to mac because to me it's a moot point.

3. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

IDF shares more of my interest right now. What is with this week and conferences?

4. Guest

AAPLaday

Windows 8 looks good. Like really good. Obviously its early days and things can change but it looks like a huge step forward if done right. I have been loving Metro for almost a year now and id love to have it on my computer/tablet. IMO Win 8 will be far ahead of Android on tablets.

I havent been that impressed by Lion. I can well believe the story that was on here months ago about Apple pulling people from OSX to work on iOS instead.

5. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm excited for win8, I think win7 was a great improvement over windows xp and has been quite stable, plus it added some features that enhance my workflow and use.

I'm not sold on the metro UI and I understand you can disable it. I'm hoping MS will have an open beta on this and I'll get my hands on the OS in the course of time.

6. r0k
    macrumors 68040

r0k

I scoffed at the "backwards scrolling" in Lion and even switched it off. But when I used Lion remotely via iTap on my iPad, I found myself wishing there was a quick way to toggle it back on again without having to go in system preferences looking for it.

I do think there will be an iPad 3 or iPad 3+ running Lion. Now that Windows 8 is looking so good, it's not simply "game over" when Apple puts OS X on a tablet. They have a ways to go to make it seamless. Meanwhile, time will tell if MS manages to deliver what we saw today without cluttering it up by the time it finally hits the streets. Based on past experience, I'm betting on clutter, but that doesn't change the fact that what we are seeing today raises the bar and gives Apple something to think about.

7. macrumors 6502a

Eventually, somebody is going to throw enough money at the Win8/Tablet market resulting in a true competitor for Apple in this arena.

The problem for MS is they are still dependent on hardware makers to match Apple's build quality. Hasn't happened yet.

8. Moderator

Hellhammer

Developer Preview today so we all actually get our hands on it. You only need a Live ID. Brian said it's very buggy though.

9. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That has been their greatest weakness. they've tried to create hardware products but fail fairly consistently. The xbox and mouse are probably the only exceptions to that.

10. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Is a Live ID seriously all you need? I thought you needed to cough up the cash for a full developer account this early in the game.

11. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Looks like I know what I'll be doing tonight :D One thing I hope I can do, provided I can download the developer preview, and thats run it within Vmware.

12. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah, I checked the Page 1 thread and it is a free for all tonight. I have a brand new hard drive in shrink wrap that I never used ready for this.

13. macrumors 68040

Looks like the perfect OS for a convertible. Imagine a 14" Notebook were you can flip the screen make the whole thing a tablet and use it as such for surfing, reading pdfs, checking mail and later you make it a real Notebook again and type a document or do other work stuff.

Lion is just a bloated/buggy SL with worse battery life and no features that make up for it. It is not really comparable to Win8 which is like making iOS and SL one thing with an easy switch between the two.

14. Moderator

Hellhammer

I think he meant that third parties, such as Samsung and other need to match Apple's quality. MS doesn't make tablets or PCs, just the software for them.

15. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Understood but microsoft has tied to produce hardware for years and they continually fail. Being reliant on third party hardware makers has helped grow the platform from the IBM PC days, but it has caused them all sorts of issues.

They tried to mitigate some of those issues and take a page out of apple's playbook from time to time, but fail. Their turtle phone last year (or the year before I forget) is a great example of how they utterly flopped on the hardware front.

16. macrumors 6502a

well the underlying thing is Apple's Lion is not really complete.

The next update (10.7.2) will remove another batch or errors and will hopefully also make some minor edits to remove other annoyances.

Not to mention that by then iOS5 will be out and we will be syncing in the cloud.

This makes Lion (and iOS5 together) a much more formidable opponent. Not to mention that even after W8 is released, they will still have to remove that first patch of pesky errors.

17. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

What are you talking about? The hardware is great. It was how Verizon marketed it (as well as Microsoft killing it) that made it flop. But definitely not the hardware.

18. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're reaching on that one. Microsoft produced a phone actually both phones and they failed to sell. You can blame verizon, but MS had just as much blame for the failure of the phone.

19. macrumors 68040

I just skimmed through the vids and articles, but I have a question anyways. :eek:

Are the tablets to include the FULL VERSION of W8 or just a tablet version? Looking at the first vid, I can't tell if that's a tablet with a keyboard, a touchscreen monitor, or both.

I don't have a iPad and I've been looking into getting the next gen iPad, but if W8 is a FULL OS on tablets then I will not be getting a iPad. Would love to have a full windows OS on a small tablet.

20. macrumors regular

The Windows 8 blog describes the windowed interface as just another app. Maybe the ARM tablets will only have the "Metro" features, while Intel tablets will get both. However, there will likely be even more confusion, if history is anything to go by. We'll probably get Tablet, Home, Professional, Server, Ultimate, etc.

21. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I would love to show you the terrifying "this is Microsoft Word running on ARM" picture. Windows 8 is Windows 8.

22. macrumors 68040

McGiord

I think is another gimmick.

Windows 7 is now being seriously deployed in large companies, and large companies would not want to spend more money in a short time-frame.
    Some companies are still using XP, and just started to migrate to Windows 7.

Apple already moved towards this direction of integrating the mobile OS into the main computers OS X, besides the touch screen there might need to do something else to really change the human-pc interface.
    Apple has a head start with the trackpad gestures, but future success might come from something we have not seen yet.

My initial reaction is that I do not want to work on a touch screen all the time, specially for typing long documents, or doing spreadsheets, presentations, etc.

I mean there should be a more ergonomically way to spend a full day working in front of your computer, I personally do not believe the touch screen is the answer for this.

What are the Windows 8 packages: Windows Metro, Windows MiliMetro, Windows Km...

23. macrumors 6502a

Windows 8 is targeting tablets, and hoping that desktop users like the changes. Quite a big bet...

Lion simply took some of the warmth of tablets and brought it to the desktop. This was a smaller bet... and considering the outcry with even that, MS is in trouble.

fwiw. I prefer the OSX approach. Reverse scrolling, launchpad, gestures, app store, full screen... all those features make for a really nice experience on a Macbook Air. I don't have to touch the screen to benefit from them. And they are small tweaks that 27inch desktop users can disregard if they want.

Also, MS is missing the hardware, which is a huge hole. Apple had the Macbook Air to show off their OS with. MS gets to hope someone cobbles something interesting together.

24. macrumors 6502a

In a twisted sort of way... one can say similar things about Lion.

25. macrumors 68040

Tried this on VirtualBox, so far not really impressed compared to W7 which is already a good OS.

Taskmanger is extremely easier to read. Very much like how everything is broken down to the point you can just glance at it.