Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
I personally really love Lion, but issues with wifi are getting me completely tired. I hoped 10.7.3 will change things but it seems to be even worse:( Now, often my iMac does not connect after sleep (it says its connected but opening any page last several minutes - only turning airport off and on helps), sometimes after sleep/restart says that no preferred wifi is reachable but when I open list of available networks, mine own network is listed and after choosing it no password is needed to join (and if I do check system preferences, my networked is set to be preferred) and sometimes, wifi signal dies for few seconds (randomly) - I am getting so tired by this, cmon Apple, don't be redmondish, do something with these issues!

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
My does the same it sometimes dies for a few secs randomly and sometimes doesn't come back on until I turn off wifi and back on then it start working fine again abit annoying

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I never had any wifi issues until I upgraded the firmware on my Linksys E4200 home router. It did work fine but the 1.0.03 upgrade introduced all kind of issues, including no connection when waking from sleep. I downgraded back to 1.0.02 and the problem went away. Perhaps tinkering with your access point firmware may help.

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I never had any wifi issues until I upgraded the firmware on my Linksys E4200 home router. It did work fine but the 1.0.03 upgrade introduced all kind of issues, including no connection when waking from sleep. I downgraded back to 1.0.02 and the problem went away. Perhaps tinkering with your access point firmware may help.

I am more then sure that all this issues have nothing to do with my linksys router, they are all caused by lion, never ever experienced any of them with snow leo on the same machine and i have not upgraded or downgraded firmware of the router after the switch to lion. What I wanted to say, I am starting to be pis.ed off by apples attitude, it reminds me one redmond company settled in redmond (and that makes me quite sad)

shakyhand

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
I faced the same problem eversince i upgraded to lion. Trying everything and really hoping 10.7.3 will solve my problem. My iMac will drop wifi almost every minutes.

I was heartbroken when the upgrade doesn't do anything to solve my problem. Then, i came across a suggestion to change the channel of my dlink router. And voila.... My 6 month problem is solved...

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
I am more then sure that all this issues have nothing to do with my linksys router, they are all caused by lion, never ever experienced any of them with snow leo on the same machine and i have not upgraded or downgraded firmware of the router after the switch to lion. What I wanted to say, I am starting to be pis.ed off by apples attitude, it reminds me one redmond company settled in redmond (and that makes me quite sad)

They probably are cause by something in Lion as the problems don't appear with other OSs. But a firmware change or channel change on the router may offset the issue in Lion. Worth a try.

Yogakun

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
I'm having the same issues. I came on the forum to diagnos if the problem was indeed the osx update, and it seems to be.

It's not my routers or modem or ISP connection, because all the other connected devices don't drop connection.

My Imac disconnects 100% from the internet on sleep and it has 100% drops.
They better fix this.

macryan1

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2009
What worked for me...

I have posted this info elsewhere also....

iMac mid 2011, i5,3.1Ghz OS X.7.3. No wifi at all since the upgrade to Lion. Probably the longest connection might have been 5 minutes. Recently purchased a Netgear N300. Since then no problems whatsoever.

I stay connected, wake from sleep all good.

So make of that what you will.

My old router was a Netgear WPN824 v2.

~Bob

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
All of you with wireless problem try this simple fix (it will work for a lot of problems):

1. The 1st thing to do is to open System Preferences-> Network pane, the Location drop-down and select "Edit Locations".

2. Use the Edit Locations drop-down and click the + button to add a new custom named Location. After making this new custom named Location, then make sure that new location name is highlighted, click the okay button to close the Edit window.

3. Then in the network pane click on the 'Apply' button to save your new custom named Location.

Don't worry the new custom name Location will work exactly like the Automatic location. Doing this trick of making a new custom name location will fix a lot of networking problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.