Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A Macbook Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
Lion's best new feature, for me, is without any doubt being able to go back and forward between web pages with a 2 finger swiper to the side on trackpad or 1 finger on a magic mouse. My one issue with this though is I can't start using the previous page immediately, it kinda refreshes. This feature would be so amazing if I could immediately start using the previous page.

Try it, what do you think?

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
TRIM support is the best feature to me. That and spotlight previews.

CarsonGallo

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
Oakdale, New York
Extension

Maybe somebody can make a Safari Extension that makes it so it automatically caches the previous page so it will automatically have the page ready to go. O and speaking of that I guarantee theres gonna be an extension thats gonna enable that swipe to the previous page feature in every other browser no. And wait just because that feature got enabled because of Lion, Safari doesn't usually get updated with the OS, for some reason they did this time so that doesn't really count as a feature of Lion, its a feature of Safari. SO that can't be your favorite feature.

A Macbook Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
Maybe somebody can make a Safari Extension that makes it so it automatically caches the previous page so it will automatically have the page ready to go. O and speaking of that I guarantee theres gonna be an extension thats gonna enable that swipe to the previous page feature in every other browser no. And wait just because that feature got enabled because of Lion, Safari doesn't usually get updated with the OS, for some reason they did this time so that doesn't really count as a feature of Lion, its a feature of Safari. SO that can't be your favorite feature.

Safari has this feature because of Lion's advanced gesture support. So it isn't coming to Snow Leopard.

CarsonGallo

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
Oakdale, New York
Other browsers, same OS.

Ok, but what about people who don't use Safari all the time on their Macs. I' sure an extension will come to Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc. So Mac users can enjoy this feature in 3rd party browsers as well as the first party browser.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
The things that wow'd me:

- Auto-correct in Safari (and wherever else)
- two-finger swiping through Safari history
- Inverted scrolling
- New Mail, Address Book, iCal

The things that I didn't care so much about:

- Gestures
- Launchpad

shttngdcknps

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2010
Ok, but what about people who don't use Safari all the time on their Macs. I' sure an extension will come to Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc. So Mac users can enjoy this feature in 3rd party browsers as well as the first party browser.

just use better touch tool, im using it in SL and it supports gestures with up to 11 fingers while Lion only supports 4(yes I know most people dont have 11 fingers) ive been using it four a couple of years know and dont know how id live w/o it. My firefox is set up like this, 3finger swipe left/right=back/forward 1 page, 3 finger swipe up/down=HOME/END keys, two finger twist switches between tabs and 4 finger click refreshes the page.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
Guys, do you know which feature is earth-shattering for a lot of us, I think?

Ability to install major OS update on the same machine where the installer resides, thus not needing external drive, DVD or second partition.

That is a major one. I'm truly impressed. :eek:

sux2beyou

macrumors member
May 5, 2009
The Device management features in the server settings are awesome. You can remote wipe and lock your Mac or your IOS device from the web!

Image your Mac is stolen, you can login onto your server from your phone (with a slick IOS optimized site) and send a remote wipe command.

I tried a lock, and it restarted the computer and was stuck at a unique lock screen waiting for a one time password I entered.

Also it's awesome that the Mac can now import .mobileconfig files.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
The Device management features in the server settings are awesome. You can remote wipe and lock your Mac or your IOS device from the web!

Image your Mac is stolen, you can login onto your server from your phone (with a slick IOS optimized site) and send a remote wipe command.

I tried a lock, and it restarted the computer and was stuck at a unique lock screen waiting for a one time password I entered.

Also it's awesome that the Mac can now import .mobileconfig files.
Wait, is this option available only to those that choose to install Lion Server from the installer? If so, I very much regret I opted out of the custom install. :(

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
Guys, do you know which feature is earth-shattering for a lot of us, I think?

Ability to install major OS update on the same machine where the installer resides, thus not needing external drive, DVD or second partition.

That is a major one. I'm truly impressed. :eek:

yeah thats quite cool! the installer extracts all the install packages to the drive and an image of a bootable installer (like the SL install disc) which is booted from after restarting and installs the packages.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
For me:

Auto-Correct
Dictionary popup
New Mail
Full screen swiping (when more apps are working with it, like iWork)

But the other iOS like features are really growing on me....fast!

"Launchpad, no one needs that....." - I keep using it all the time now.... !

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
Lion's best new feature, for me, is without any doubt being able to go back and forward between web pages with a 2 finger swiper to the side on trackpad or 1 finger on a magic mouse. My one issue with this though is I can't start using the previous page immediately, it kinda refreshes. This feature would be so amazing if I could immediately start using the previous page.

I like it, but I wish it was 3-finger instead of 2-finger. For me, 2-finger has always been scroll (yes, even horizontal scroll), and 3-finger has been reserved for navigation.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden

We've had three finger side scrolling for years that goes back/forward in the web history?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.