Lions Free Kidnapped Girl

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mactastic, Jun 21, 2005.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This is a truly remarkable story.

2. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

:eek: :mad:

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It's very sad to hear that she was originally kidnapped and beaten. :(

Still nice to hear some good news for the ending of this story.

I'm surprised that they weren't able to ascertain if the lions were male or female. It certainly sounds as though they were female by there actions. A very lucky young lady indeed. I pray that after medial attention she will be alright.

4. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, and what does it say about people that the animals who should have been natural predators were nicer than hew own species was to her? :(

5. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

didn't know if they were male or female? don't males have the big ass mane of hair and the females don't?

6. friarbayliff macrumors regular

That was a really interesting story - I saw it on CNN earlier today. The sad thing really is that this sort of thing is a regular occurrence in that culture. Some advocate the preservation and respect of other cultures - but I think it's basically a poor excuse and a bad habit.

7. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I wonder if one lion stayed and guarded while the others chased and got well fed ;)

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

Adult males do, but I believe younger males would not. However, I would think that adolescent male lions would have been fairly unlikely to guard the child rather than eat her.

Edit: Or, I suppose, it could have been these :p

9. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Agreed. Any violence hiding behind culture preservation is a very poor excuse indeed.

10. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

:D Rogaine for felines.

11. mac-er macrumors 65816

Amazing. Truly shows the natural instincts of animals.

12. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

13. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

this hits close to home. I had a dog protect me once when I was a kid, I later found out the person this stray dog was protecting me from was once arrested for kidnapping!! The dog turned out to be rabid, and possibly didn't se me as a threat because of my size (i was 6 or 7) and the man was quite tall. But I still think to this day that the dog was out to protect me that day, as I doubt if it hated people, and or was rabid, that it would have let me pet it before this incident occurred.

Animals are more intelligent then we give them credit for, who is to say the lyons didn't know what they were doing?

14. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Thats pretty cool that the lions saved her. Kind of like those dolphins that protected the lifeguards from sharks in New Zealand. Link

15. craigdawg macrumors 6502

How bad would that suck to survive being beaten for some arranged marriage you want no part of only to be eaten by lions. The worst day of my life, what do you think?

16. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Mmmmmm... dolphin. A little garlic, and little cayenne, good eatin'

17. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Thanks for the link. Both stories are truly amazing and heart-touching. It's nice to see animals protecting humans :)

18. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

More than likely they were female. I saw this article on CNN, and given that my knowledge of things like this is equivalent to a moldy turnip, I looked up a friend of mine who is currently doing her graduate work in biology. According to her, female lions practice what is called "cooperative breeding". If I understood her correctly, it doesn't matter which lionness gave birth to the cub, all of them in the pride will collectively raise them. That being said, as the article said the poor girl was making sounds equivalent to a cub in danger/distress, all of them would protect her. On the flip side, if they were male lions, they probably would have killed her when they didn't recognize her as a cub they fathered.