1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Lions Gate Films Tips Off About iTunes Movie Downloads

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Aug 17, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

MacNN notes that Lions Gate Films has tipped Apple's hat to the existance of upcoming availability of feature-length films available for purchase/download through iTunes.

Steve Beeks, President of Lions Gate, stated:
    The iTunes Music Store currently doesn't offer any full-length movies for purchase/download, with minor exceptions to some full-length content available via ShowTime.

2. macrumors regular

SteveRichardson

So he told us something we weren't supposed to know?

Lions Gate movies are good.

3. macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

Nice one.

Of course, we already knew, but it's good to see confirmation and know that there will be some indie content on there. My bet: October, and definitely alongside a new video iPod.

EDIT: As opposed to a new iPod nano.

4. macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Stick a "Burn to DVD" button on it or else it would be utterly useless to me... my desk chair is comfortable but not "watch a movie" comfortable

5. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

So apparently Mr. Beeks has a new person on his list to avoid at the Christmas party. It'll be interesting to see Apple's response to this, if there is one.

6. macrumors 65816

Apple's response will be to delay the movie download service for about 1 year just to make it look like Steve Beeks didn't know what he's talking about.

I hope I'm wrong about that.

7. Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

EricNau

I hope Apple isn't going to sell these movies at the same quality as their current video downloads.

As of now, the only thing they are good for are iPods; on a computer screen it looks terrible.

8. macrumors member

Unbelievable

Are people as outraged by this leak as I am? I can't believe it. He just stole Steve's thunder at a later secret event. This will end up costing Apple the element of surprise and the impact of a special Steve announcement. We've got to punish Lion's Gate somehow. We need to boycott all of their films and show that they cannot mess with Apple. The mothership is under attack! Who's with me? :mad:

9. macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

No, you're right-- it'll be remembered as the "asteroid" of 2006.

10. macrumors regular

lOUDsCREAMEr

Steve VS Steve
    :rolleyes:

11. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Unless the iTunes Movie store is launched alongside a new iPod, I quite frankly don't care. And if a new iPod is launched, I'll be upset because my friend just got a new one for back-to-college shopping. and if all we get are more rumors..well they get old. hmmm... maybe I just don't care anymore.

tangent: Has anyone seen the pic of the Zune that was just leaked? it looks... butt ugly and iPod wannabe.

12. macrumors regular

Another improvement to the Mac Mini entertainment center

I'll use this if it offers new releases. Look out Netflix.

When combined with Front Row, (YouTube and other entertaining media streams) and EyeTV via the Miglia TVmini HD, this makes a great addition to the Mac Mini as entertainment cetner. :D

13. macrumors G5

nagromme

Rental via download: yes!

Purchase: no!

If I want to own, I want the disc. Burning answers that mostly, but a nice box set is still preferred.

But the point is, I seldom WANT to own. It's not like music. I seldom want to watch the same movie again. So let me rent--at a price that's low enough to be reasonable at whatever quality they deliver.

If quality is sub-DVD, the price had better be sub-Netflix and the selection had better be great. (Which is unlikely to happen quickly--but eventually.) Convenience/instant gratification do add some value, but I won't compromise too much on quality. (iTunes TV shows are OK quality for a missed episode, not good enough to collect and keep. For me.)

So I hope Steve Jobs gets over his no-rental mindset on this.

14. macrumors 65816

narco

Now watch: Apple will introduce the iTunes movie store this year, but Lions Gate films will be missing.

Fishes,
    narco.

15. macrumors 6502a

Whoa there buddy. First off, if he is under NDA then he wouldn't have said it. But if he said it while under NDA then Apple will get him and doesn't need a bunch of people flipping out on behalf of Steve. I'm sure he thinks it's cute but he can do without it. Secondly, if he knows about this and is not under NDA, then it's Apple's fault.

16. macrumors member

God, I can only hope you are alone. He hardly said anything we didn't know. So you go ahead and punish Lion's Gate if you want to, and if your mom will let you, but I am just happy to hear of some progress in this arena.

17. macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

Amen. Since getting a plasma, I can't watch movies in anything other that 16:9. Hoping that's part of a new release in Paris. I'm probably alone on this, but it's my .02

18. macrumors G4

I'll only go for it if it meets these criteria:

1. Able to burn to DVD (songs have this option for CD, why no movies?)
    2. A Netflix-esque rental style along with full-on purchases
    3. At least DVD quality.

If none of these are met (except for the first, I could live without but its nice to have the option) I'm sticking with the options which already exist and keeping my Netflix subscription.

19. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm going to smile and assume this is sarcasm and a joke :)

If it's not...wow.

20. macrumors 601

eva01

I can't get excited for this, because i like having a disk, all the extras on it and in the case. And i highly doubt anime will be on it.

21. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Make it DVD quality and allow the option of burning it to a DVD and I'm there. :D

Haven't bought any TV shows, but if I could burn it to a DVD, I would probably buy some movies.

22. macrumors 6502a

dizastor

August 17, 2006 Cupertino, CA: In a surprise press release late this afternoon Apple Computer announced it's purchase of Lions Gate Films. Without delay, former President Steven Beeks was removed from his position placed in shackles, stripped to his boxer shorts and displayed prominently of the official "Apple Ridicule Platform" located conveniently in the parking lot at 1 Infinite Loop. Steve Jobs was unavailable for comment, but was seen laughing, choking down a small bowl of low calorie pescaterian chowder.

23. macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

I know they have free music and tv downloads. I think it would be cool to have a free movie download of maybe indie films or film classics because other than the free tv downloads I rarely buy any shows on iTunes since I don't have a video iPod.

And in the same vein as other posts I see this launching with an iPod update. My guess early November.

24. macrumors member

Ad feminam attacks aside, I think you may be underestimating the damage this kind of leak will do to Apple. Competitors now have confirmation of Apple's plans and can push for competing deals to be negotiated so that their stores can come out at the same time as Apple's. The leak is an attempt by Lion's Gate to bring more competition into an area that Apple is blazing the trail for. All Mac users should defend Apple and do whatever we can to help the mothership.

25. macrumors 65816

amac4me

I wonder how mad Steve is right now.