Liquid cooled G5s leaking? Must be.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MacTruck, Jul 8, 2005.

1. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Went to compusa yesterday and noticed that all the liquid cooled G5s are being shipped upright. This is a first. Have any G5 owners gotten a leaking G5? Why would they start to ship them in an upright box instead of the old one? Hmmm.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

All the new PM's come upright now - we just got two 2.3's at the office and they came that way.

3. khollister macrumors 6502a

khollister

Got a 2.3 several weeks ago - traditional box with PM laying on it's side. Must be a really recent change after the latest series was introduced.

4. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

If you think about it, when things bounce it would be better to have those components vertical than horizontal i think.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

A leaking PowerMac G5- oh would that ever suck!

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Probably better ergonomics/physics for lifting the darn things.

Really a bad deal for lifting the darn things if they were off-balance loads when laying flat.

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I don't see Apple changing the shipping config because of leaking. I see them fixing the leak.

8. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I have yet to hear of *any* case of G5 coolant leaking and it is not likely that Apple would change this over isolated cases - only if it was a rampant problem,m which of course we would have heard about. Quit spreading FUD....oh yeah!

9. MacTruck thread starter macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Duff man says... apple can do no wrong. Apple perfect no way G5 might leak no way even though G5s with liquid cooling have a warning about leaking coolant .... Oh Yeah!

Chill Duff man. We know you LOVE apple and they are God but you never know. They might have had problems with G5s lying on their side. Maybe just maybe.
    :D

10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ....you have no clue.....I will criticize Apple when warranted - and I have many times....but not where there is nothing to criticize.....oh yeah!

11. MacTruck thread starter macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Chill duff man chill. Everything will be ok. Apples rep not tarnished. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Besides nobody is criticizing apple. Just stating the G5s shipping style has changed and POSSIBLE reason is leaking coolant. But then again you really don' t have a clue if it is the reason or not. Leaking coolant came to mind as I read somewhere that this happend due to being on its side and apple recommends liquid cooled G5s to stand upgright at all times. No I can't show you where I saw it, I barely remember it but I did read it somewhere.

Basically I was trying to find out if anyone received a leaking G5. Duff man sure nobody ever has obviously. :eek:

12. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....look - I am not going to start some idiotic flame war. Your thread title did not state "possibly" - it says "Must Be" yet you have no "evidence" at all. You started another thread "blaming" Apple for fed Ex's problems. I like Apple's products but they are not perfect and not beyond faults but I *will* stick up for them when the critisicm is flippant like yours has been, trying to "sensationalize" a probably non-existant problem with your thread title. *You* need to chill and stop trying to be the next 60 Minutes reporter.....and that is my last comment in this thread.....oh yeah!

13. MacTruck thread starter macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Thank you.

BTW: Wasn't trying to offend anyone. Sorry if I did. Just seeing if anybody ever got a leaking G5. Should have worded the title better.

14. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I am the proud owner for two years of an original [air-cooled] 2.0 GHz G5 and the proud user for a bit over one month of a [liquid-cooled] 2.7 GHz G5. I unpacked them both. Compared to the air-cooled model, the liquid-cooled model was packed the same. If you are seeing boxes shipped on their sides [with the computers upright inside], it is an issue with FedEx or whoever handles the delivery. They probably using floor space in their delivery vans more efficiently. Make no mistake: The natural orientation of the G5's shipping box has the computer on its side. It is virtually impossible to remove the computer from the box in any other orientation. My new G5 does not leak. There is no reason to think that it might, all conjecture to the contrary not withstanding.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yes, but since you admitted your mistake we'll let you off with a warning. ;) J/K. Just be careful if you ever buy a new fridge, I hear if you tip them, all the coolant leaks out and they explode. I don't know, some guy told me it happened to his Uncle or something. :p

Shame if this gets Wastelanded, it's quite entertaining.

16. MacTruck thread starter macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Not shipped on their sides. New boxes that open at the top. So when you open the computer box you see the top of the G5.

Has nobody seen this yet?

17. Douglas Stetner macrumors newbie

Well, I have had one.... See here

I am not so much mad at the fact that it leaked, but at the fact that it has been over 3 weeks and I still do not have my machine back!

Doug

18. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Apple have been changing their packaging across all product lines, with an eye toward fitting more product on each container or pallet. Part of it is to cut down shipping costs, part is to help meet their environmental goals.

19. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

My special PowerMac recently shipped vertical but it is a single 3.6 with no liquid cooling. I have to say the box was easier to move and removing the computer slightly easier. When you open the box you see the keyboard/mouse/software first then the PowerMac's handles.

20. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Very true about shipping more in the same space and reducing cost/waste even if it's $.15 per container that adds up. I know this all to well (I work in a box/printing factory and customers are always looking to save cost in the areas of shipping/waste.

21. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

On a related note- They stopped making my model of car in green this year- I think it's because they have faulty seatbelts. :rolleyes:

22. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Having worked for UPS loading and unloading the trailers, im sure FedEx is the same. Ill tell you that it doesn't matter what orientation the G5 is in, it WILL get put on it's side, it WILL get tapped into it's place on the "wall". If it fits better sideways/upsidedown, that's how it will be packed into the container/trailer in the position that fits best.

23. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

Just my 2¢, but the Developer Transition Kits are shipping in an upright box too, so it's nothing to do with coolant leakage ;)

24. GlynJones macrumors 6502

My dual 2.0 was shipped in an upright box. Much easier to get the thing out.

25. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I think this is why the orientation has changed.