Liquid Cooling or NO?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MacTruck, Jun 23, 2005.

1. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Dilemma.

Get the 2.3ghz dual G5 for $2499
    250gb HD
    16x DL Drive
    512mb ram
    AIR COOLED

or

Get the 2.5ghz dual G5 for $2499
    160gb HD
    8x DVD-R
    512mb ram
    LIQUID COOLED

I went with the dual 2.5ghz G5 and I like it but did I make a mistake? Are there less problems with the 2.3ghz? Will it last longer? Is it quieter? Is it just as fast?

Answers, benchmarks anyone?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Not much in it processor wise so the 2.3GHz machine looks like the better buy IMO. Either will happily suffice for most users. :D

By the way, you'll want more RAM.

3. TrashCanDan macrumors member

Good decision goin for the dual 2.5. Remember, you can always upgrade the optical drive and hard drive but not the processor. The liquid cooling on the dual 2.5 is just a precautionary measure. The 200 Mhz will come in handy sooner or later.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I wouldn't be at all afraid of the water cooled G5. It's bound to be faster. I would highly recommend AppleCare. IMHO it's a must with any Mac. Also agree that more memory is a must. It will also increase the speed of your Mac. Use Crucial link that is listed above. Should get at least 1 GB or whatever you can afford.

5. MacTruck thread starter macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Saw in your sig you have the Raptor 10K drive as boot. Is is alot faster? Mine will be here tomorrow along with 4gb of ram and I was just wanting to get an idea of how much faster this machine will be.

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Get at least another 1 GB of RAM. That way you have 1.5 GB of RAM and make me feel really jealous because you're computer will go really fast.

I'd stay with your current optical drive until Blu-Ray drives hit the market. DL disks are expensive and you probably won't be making too many of them. Blu-Ray is something Apple is a member of, and is going to be really freaking cool.

And the hard drive doesn't matter a ton. Its huge as is!

7. TrashCanDan macrumors member

oh yeah... youll be amazed at how fast your systems boots, let along how quick your apps open up and copying data. Ive never seen Photoshop open up so fast!