Liquid meets keyboard....not good

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by stromie952, May 22, 2004.

1. macrumors regular

So, I was picking up my cup of tea and I spilled some basically directly on the arrow keys and apparently the right command keys since none of them work anymore.

I immediately used a fan to dry it out, but they still don't work. I cleaned all of the keys as well as seeing if there was any residue in the keys that don't work but to no avail.

It certainly seems like I will be buying a new keyboard, but I figured I would check here first. Seems like a short or something, but who knows.

If anyone knows any tricks to getting keys to work again I would appreciate the help.

2. macrumors 6502

Good luck. I spilled pineapple juice on mine. Never did get it to work again.

Luckily, it was on my Compaq. I bought the iBook after that, and haven't looked back.

3. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

4. macrumors 65816

strider42

Well, you have nothing to lose so you might try completely submerging the keyboard in clean water. That should dissolve any extra residue in there. Let it dry out for a few days. I've known of people fixing their keyboards this way.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

The funny thing is that it didn't have any sugar or anything in it. Just plain black tea. And it only affected a few keys.

Well, I think I will try the water method. The other one wouldn't be worth the 5 hrs or so it would take me. I would be better off spending the $45 for a new one.

Thanx for the help

(Crossing my fingers)