liquidate resources-->ibook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by typewriterchimp, Oct 19, 2005.

1. typewriterchimp macrumors member

i am currently the proud owner/operator of one pismo powerbook--500mhz g3, 640 mb ram, 40 gig hard drive. a trusty machine for sure. it seems to fetch a decent price on ebay, etc. but here's my question:

is it better to sell of the pismo now (while it is still worth something) and upgrade to an ibook (i can get one for as low as 850 or 900 for the 1.33 12"), or should I use the pismo till it disintegrates and then buy whatever I can get for 999. will the pismo lose that much value in the coming months? would it be worth it to wait for the 1st generation intel ibook? I mean, how many new features could they have?

any input is appreciated. I'm new to these parts and a relatively new mac owner.

thanks

2. generik macrumors 601

generik

Just curious, how much can you expect to get for your Pismo?

If it is a good price (or even somewhat reasonable).. just sell it and upgrade :)

At least you wouldn't have to be tasked with the chore of having to throw your then dead mac out into the trash.. or have it sitting around the house and not doing anything useful.

3. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

I think whatever it's worth now it will be worth until the next pb update. (Intel, most likely).
    I'm on my pismo now.. I need more ram.. Minimum for tiger is 256, and I'm on 192... It's lagging as I type this :eek: :D

4. typewriterchimp thread starter macrumors member

well...

ebay value looks anywhere from 450-550. can intel ibooks be that much cooler?

5. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

If you could get that much for it I would definitely go for it. The speed bump will definitely be noticable. Just curious, what did you originally pay for it?

6. generik macrumors 601

generik

I've been wondering if there would be any resale value left to PPC macs after the transition... will the resale prices of these take a big hit?

7. typewriterchimp thread starter macrumors member

i paid...

I paid 500$ and then put in the 500mhz g3 processor card (was 400). bought it about a year ago.

cs

8. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

If I were you I would definitely go for it. In the end you'd be upgrading a lot for your buck.(s) :eek: