Liquidation on Macs @ CompUSA?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lu0s3r322, Feb 27, 2007.

1. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

Since Compusa is starting to close 128 of its stores starting tomorrow, we should see some huge sales on computer components and other tech.

Now as many of you know, every most (idk if every) Compusa has a special Apple section. Should we expect prices to fall in that area too? Or not because Apple has control of a lot of the stuff that goes on there.

Either way, I'm gonna gets me some stuff this weekend :cool: :cool:

EDIT: You can check if one near you is closing by using the store locator on their website, if the store near you is on the list, its still in business. The site's already been updated because notice that at the top it says 100 locations. They scaled down from 228. Link

2. copperhead macrumors member

wow i hope one near me is one of the ones closing haha.

3. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Wow...that's really sad (That they are closing) I loved that store!

Why are they closing so many?

4. wako macrumors 65816

Their closing for the obvious reason... they cant compete in the market :p

This is pretty sad... all 3 CompUSAs are closing in my area. One of them I have been going since I was 7 :(...

5. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

Wow....all of the CompUSA's around Atlanta (4 or 5 I think) are closing down.

6. SBik2 macrumors 6502a

SBik2

i really dont know how ours is still going to be open.. All the Macheads go to a store called macdaddy.(until our Apple store gets finished around June-July). I guess its just because of the pc people.

7. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

I guess they will know what gets discounted starting tomorrow....anyone play on calling the stores that are shutting down? We will probably need to start another thread for what stores are getting rid of what....

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

good riddance!

And it does look like the one by my house is getting the axe....good, I hated that place. It had the worst customer service I've ever experienced at a retail store.

9. Stadsport macrumors regular

Mine has a bunch of those dashboard mousepads. I'm gonna see if they're closing and request them if they are :D

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The one closest to my work is still open, but the other one I tended more to visit on the way home from work is closing (Fry's opening up across the freeway didn't help their cause) as are apparently almost all of the Southern California stores.

I plan to drop in tomorrow on the way home and check things out.

B

11. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

12. tilman macrumors regular

CompUSA closed some stores in my area a few month ago. They had very few Apple computers and monitors for sale. Mostly just the display models, and even those only $100 or $200 off. I suspect they stopped re-stocking product some time before they shut down the store, or moved the unopened inventory to a store that remained open. But they had a good selection of Mac software on sale.

13. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Wow, the one across from my store is closing down too.

May have to stop over there. :D

Cant really blame it for closing, the customer service there always sucked. Could NEVER find a single person.

14. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

This definetly sucks, the one that is less than 30 minutes away from me is closing and it's been open for less than a year. Now I'll have to go to best buy :(, I really liked that CompUSA too, it was MUCH better than bestbuy with a lot better selection, why couldn't it have been the Best Buy that was closing?

15. memoteran macrumors member

they are closing all the ones that i used to go to
    that sucks cause compusa was better than best buy for computers

16. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

the store close to me closes. this particular store sucked big time. clueless employees, dirty, unorganized.

it's sad though because if the local store manager had done his job I would have shopped there. prices were ok for the most part.

compusa is a good example how a bunch of losers in the management can ruin a business.

i feel sorry for the employees who lose their jobs.

17. volvoben macrumors 6502

Looks like the Brighton, MA store is gone...I must say though that it was always dirty, poorly managed and always disorganized. I could walk there from my girlfriend's old place, but one time we visited because they had a great deal on a Hard Drive. I picked one up and brought it to the counter, but the employee said 'ya know, that ain't the one on sale, we never even had any'.
    So it was in the circular flyer they put out, but they never even had any...so instead they put a sign out advertising the price in the flyer, stocked that shelf with a very similar product (literally the same product, with a different product code), and waited for idiots to pay too much for them. I never went back.

The apple section was miserable. they had a dual 2.7 powermac out on display last November, it was on but not even plugged into the monitor, which had a huge gash across the screen. I just wanted to get my hands on a MacBook when they were new, but instead they tried to sell me a 1.2ghz ibook display model that looked like someone had soaked it in coffee. Complete opposite of apple stores, I never bought anything but DVD media.

18. hana macrumors regular

Gee, I just woke up to this news!

If you do a search on the CompUSA site for stores in California, the closest one to LA is in BAKERSFIELD!

:eek:

So where else except Fry's do I get my geek goodies?
    (I know...Best Buy...but I can't stand the attitude over there.)

19. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

that's the store i was talking about. and your experience is exactly what i encountered. this store was mismanaged. even if all the products and prices were fine i wouldn't want to buy there. it's sad but this store manager deserves to lose his job.:(

20. taytho macrumors 6502

the ones in the kc area (kansas city) have already closed. The one a mile or two away from me closed the end of last year i think. weird wild stuff.

21. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

That and the fact that a new Fry's opened just a mile away from this one here in Ventura, CA - (actually Oxnard, CA).

22. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

They have a great deal on iWork, I'd buy it if '07 wasn't around the corner.

23. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Yeah, that store in front of Costco was crazy. I never had good luck with them, I needed an adapter they had marked down to $9 when i got to the counter it rang up to $19 and the cashier called a manager and he said it was miss marked and was not $9 I walked out. Im glad they are closing.

24. danny_w macrumors 601

Stupid question, but how do you know which stores are closing? I did a search on their website for store locations and all of the ones in this area still show up.

25. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

You can try Googling for compusa locations yourstate (or nearby states, if any) and see if there are any differences in the Google cache and the live page.